Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th December 2009, 10:04 AM

Default Quick Progress Report

Hi Folks, been a while since I have been on here so thought I would give a quick update.
I have started stripping the Sierra, it's a 2.0 DOHC with MT75 box. Many thanks to Axle for the info he supplied and to all the others that responded to my cries for help
I am just about at the point of lifting the engine and box out, all bolts have been loosened so it shouldn't take long. I am hoping a mate of mione can come and help. My drive is on a steep slope , once I start to lift out the engine and box I have to move the car back and down the slope as my lifting gear is fixed. If I get a problem at this stage things could get tricky
This will be only the second time I have removed an engine so I am a bit apprehensive.

I have just ordered a chassis flat pack from Handy Andy, if his product is half as good as his pre sales support then I will be bloody delighted!! Thanks Andy for being patient with me and answering all my stupid questions so quickly and politely. I look forward to receiving my bits.
I have fixed my garage roof (I think) so I can get my build table done, I won't do that until I have all the donor parts out though.

So that's it for now, if it stops raining I might get out and do some work.Regards to all,
Enoch
Old 6th December 2009, 10:12 AM

Best of luck Enoch and good building.
Welcome to the madhouse.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:19 AM

Hi Enoch,

if you are not worried about "the state" of the donor shell when you are finished stripping it & with your drive being on a slope you could always take the angry grinder to the front of the car & just cut out the area where the rad used to be, totally cut it, lower the engine down onto the floor & then roll the car back leaving the engine safely resting on the floor , then it makes less chance of being a tricky lift with an engine in the air .

Thanks for your kind words regarding my venture & thanks for your order, i best get cracking & get some steel cut
best wishes with your build .

cheers
andy
Old 6th December 2009, 10:27 AM

Enoch,

I did similar to what Andy said, hacked the front end out with mr grinder undo everything, put a piece of ply under the lump - attach engine to quad bike & pull. lot easier than all that lifting business.

p.
Old 6th December 2009, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

i just lifted the car up over the engine much easyness with a fork lift and proper engine hoist
Old 6th December 2009, 11:03 AM

Another vote for cutting out the front lower crossmember & dragging out from the front of the car

So much easier than trying to lift it out

If you are removing from the front, the engine & box can come out in one lump

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 6th December 2009, 12:08 PM

God, I love it here, thanks for the idea guys. I had already cut out the bit where the bonnet catch goes, the rad is out, as is most of the other stuff at the front of the car. I have also made a little trolley type thing on castors for the engine to sit on so I can move it about easily. I was looking at dropping the anti roll bar to increase clearance but I can see the value in dropping the engine rather than lifting it. Unless somebody wants to pop round with a forklift :-)
I have come to a stop today, I'm an old git and starting to ache a bit, I also need to get a pair of circlip pliers before I can remove the gearstick.
Thanks again folks.
Enoch.
Old 6th December 2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

I have come to a stop today, I'm an old git and starting to ache a bit
I know the feeling well Enoch

Takes me hours to do jobs that used to take next to no time

Don't you just hate it when you have to stop part way through removing a tight bolt because you simply run out of steam !!??

Mind you, this shouldn't be an issue for me........ I have air ratchets & impact drivers.
I can never be assed to go up the shed to turn the compressor on !!

Talk about needless hard work

www.roadster-builders.co.uk