Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th September 2010, 12:48 PM

Default Cvh.......

As most of you know i got my car on the road in may, its a 1.8cvh engined car and is running bike carbs

Well at the track day spud and i recently attended i was actually quite pleased with how it was performing, it lacked on the main straight but did pretty good around the rest of the track

After the lunch break the track was nice and dry and i had been out for about 20 laps really pushing it, my temp was approaching the red and my oil was that hot it was starting to drop in pressure every lap i did

So i thought the sensible thing to do would be to come straight in and let it cool off

The problem was there was an ariel atom behind me he was much quicker on the straight but not in the corners so i thought one more lap of annoying this bloke and his expensive car in the corners and then i will go in and let it cool down

Just as i thought that i heard the engine start rattling like mad

I came off and it was tapping its nuts off like none of the tappets were working so i let cool down topped up the oil and drove it home at 1500rpm

Next day i compression tested it and the combined total of all four cylinders was about 60 psi

Im not bothered so dont feel sorry for me as i have done 1600 fabulous frantic miles (the last 60 of which were on track) since i got it finished and have loved every one of em

The engine was in really good nick prior to the trackday too I think i just asked to much of a 20yr old cvh to take that much abuse really!

So the winter rebuild is starting a touch earlier than expected

Bring on the 2lt zetec!

The other eventful moment of the day was when spud pressed the brake and accelerator at the same time at the end of the straight and went off the track up the grass banking!
Old 13th September 2010, 01:48 PM

hi mark
thats bad news about your engine.
on apurely selfish note, can i ask what are you going to do with manifold and carbs?
as you may remember, i am building mine with with a 1.8 cvh and wanted bike carbs.
i have purchased some zx6r carbs but not had them jetted yet and still need to buy manifold.
if you are selling yours, i maybe interested
thanks
steve
Old 13th September 2010, 03:59 PM

That's a pity Mark, like you say though, a good excuse to make an early start on your winter upgrades.

In a weird sort of way, it must be quite cool to kill the engine because of thrashing the life out of the Roadster.
Must have been a propper Star Trek moment out on the track " If I give her any more, she'll blow "

Just wish I had the driving ability to kill a CVH

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 13th September 2010, 05:05 PM

Unlucky with the engine,

but sounds like you had a great time doing it

I'll be happy if my engine lasts as long (intend thrashing a little myself!!) so we'll see what happens?

I'll be keeping an eye on the zetec conversion though, cos that's my intention in the future.

All the best

Daz...

http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/tashlotty/
Old 13th September 2010, 05:05 PM

"She Canner Take It Anymore Captain"

It is a shame but it will all be worth it - Mine mysteriously blew also through lack of oil, what a pity had to upgrade mine to......

Big Feet......AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 13th September 2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
The poor CVH! You monster sir;

Just consider what may or may transport across, such as sump, and I would imagine the carbs would as well, OK on a new inlet plate.

Was the problem due to heat build up do you think or lack of oil? Would it be wise to fit an oil cooler if doing track days and better cooling fan/lower thermostat.

Just wondering as I would expect the same amount of heat generated from Zetec if not more with more BHP?

Adrian
I think it was totally my fault

I think any old engine given that much abuse would eventually give, i should have came in earlier or eased off to let it cool! but i wasnt that concerned about the cvh"s welfare!

The oil pressure dropped a reasonable ammount as it was extremely hot so subsequently very thin which wont have helped, that coupled with the fact the engine was extremely hot = dead cvh.

I probably will be upgrading the rad when i do the engine though, it was a clio unit which was absolutely fine on the road but not ideal for track use it seems.

You are right in saying i will be reusing the sump, pickup pipe and my bike carbs.
Old 13th September 2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve8274 View Post
hi mark
thats bad news about your engine.
on apurely selfish note, can i ask what are you going to do with manifold and carbs?
as you may remember, i am building mine with with a 1.8 cvh and wanted bike carbs.
i have purchased some zx6r carbs but not had them jetted yet and still need to buy manifold.
if you are selling yours, i maybe interested
thanks
steve
Sorry i will be re-using the carbs on the zetec and may even recycle some of the inlet manifold when i make a new one for the zetec

Someone on locosters makes inlet manifolds, may be worth getting in touch with them

The only thing i will be selling is the rocker cover as it was shotblasted and powder coated in nice satin black
Old 13th September 2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post

The only thing i will be selling is the rocker cover as it was shotblasted and powder coated in nice satin black
1st dibs if you do sell the rocker cover please Mark

Had a chat with spud this afternoon, heard about you blowing the engine

He didn,t mention he went off track for an excursion

cheers
andy