Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th February 2012, 05:33 PM

Unhappy Front frame

Hi everyone this is my first post so please be gently with me I am not using a pre cut pack I trying to do it the hard way! something tells me I should have brought a pre cut pack. I have a metal cutting bandsaw and have tryed to keep everything as accurate as I possibly can etc.
I have just found out that to my horror my front frame from ff1 to ff4 is more than 75mm it is about 81mm it is even so it is not twisted etc it was made using the jig obuviously not well enough!!! something has gone wrong. I found this out when I trial fitted TR2 and TR1 and found out that they over lap the top of U5 and U4 by six mm each side.
My question is has this newbie who sadly is an engineer!!!!! made a pile of tack welded scrap or can i get away with it or not. and if i can get away with it can i then live with it knowing it is there. The suspension brackets could be moved and compensate etc i think, but not so sure the rack will have enough room. I think the error is probably in my compond angle on FF3 and FF4.
I think I now what the answer is going to be scrap the front frame. but thought I would just ask what the affect this might have.
Old 4th February 2012, 05:58 PM

If it's wrong from the start then every thing else that follows will be wrong as well. If you've managed to make the front frame bigger than the jig then you need to add dead stops to the jig. I've tried to cut corners and it only comes back to bite you in the arse at a later date, usualy after you've welded every thing solid. Do it right from the start and save your self a lot of agro later on.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 4th February 2012, 06:00 PM

I feel bad saying it... but I think you should probably scrap the front frame and start again
It's probably the most critical part of the chassis to get right.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
Old 4th February 2012, 06:17 PM

Don't think of it as wasted, think of it as practice. Education this cheap is hard to come by these days.

Then redo it right, just be glad you caught it this soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by costlow7 View Post
Hi everyone this is my first post so please be gently with me I am not using a pre cut pack I trying to do it the hard way! something tells me I should have brought a pre cut pack. I have a metal cutting bandsaw and have tryed to keep everything as accurate as I possibly can etc.
I have just found out that to my horror my front frame from ff1 to ff4 is more than 75mm it is about 81mm it is even so it is not twisted etc it was made using the jig obuviously not well enough!!! something has gone wrong. I found this out when I trial fitted TR2 and TR1 and found out that they over lap the top of U5 and U4 by six mm each side.
My question is has this newbie who sadly is an engineer!!!!! made a pile of tack welded scrap or can i get away with it or not. and if i can get away with it can i then live with it knowing it is there. The suspension brackets could be moved and compensate etc i think, but not so sure the rack will have enough room. I think the error is probably in my compond angle on FF3 and FF4.
I think I now what the answer is going to be scrap the front frame. but thought I would just ask what the affect this might have.
Old 4th February 2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys for posting I kind of new the answer anyway but hoped if i asked it would heal up it has to be right.
Old 6th February 2012, 07:00 PM

Have you tried looking at the book amendments in the anouncements section. There is a section for the front frame, good luck and persivere with it as if you get this wrong it will have a knock on effect, i had three goes at it before I got it right

Arfon
Old 8th February 2012, 10:24 AM

Total agree with everyone else. My first front frame was scrap so remade it I'm glad I did as its so important to get right.

Skyline Roadster
Old 8th February 2012, 01:21 PM

Default Costlow7

Hi Costlow. Theres not many of us in this part of the country. You have a PM
Old 9th February 2012, 11:47 AM

Gotta stop reading these posts checked my front frame the other day to find it was 3mm out and since I am so ocd I scrapped it and re did it now its only 3hundredth's of a mm out but I can live with that