Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th August 2009, 03:31 PM

Cool Modofied chassis

Hi all,
I am considering a slightly different approach to the normal roadster chassis build and would appreciate any input / comments / suggestions / similar experience

Although registering kitcars in Ireland involves no test/checks etc, it is horrendously expensive. 36% or what they reckon its worth to give it a (new) numberplate and €2,100 road tax a year. Using a very modern (small) engine, probably diesel will bring these costs down a bit, but bumps up the build cost quite a bit and be not really what I want in the first place.

If I use a previously registered chassis and rebuild a body on this, the existing registration is re-used and no cost are incurred. Obviously, very few cars have had a separate chassis for 30 years.

I am looking at forming a roadster using a triumph spitfire/herald/vitesse chassis in place of the lower engine rails, lower transmission tunnel and the lower portion of the rear wichbone mounts. All the remainder of the roadster "chassis" complete with panelling would become a "body" which could be mounted on the already registered chassis. The body would then stiffen the chassis to the same level as the existing roadster chassis. "Wishbone mounts"/subframes could be added to the existing chassis to locate suspension where required.

As I have looked into this I have a number of queries that I would like to close out before I start to cut up my chassis steel.

The distance between the diff output shaft centres to the base of the chassis. (see what clearance problems I might have)
When mounting "comfortable" seats in the car, how high is the top of seat base above the bottom of the chassis.
For a 2.0 pinto and type 9 gearbox where is the engine gearbox join line in relation to tube BR10.
Has anyone fitted a 2.0 Triumph 6 cylinder engine/gearbox in theirs?
I have a pretty good plan-elevation drawing of a spitfire chassis, does anyone have similar of a Herald/Vitesse?
Any problems using box section for wishbones apart from asthetics?

Any other "donor chassis" I should be looking at?

I know that this is an unusual approach but using an existing "classic" chassis results in €48/year tax rather than €2,100, does buy some design changes, qualifies for classis insurance and negates any requirement for NCT(MOT).
Could potentially negate any SVA IVA etc?!?!?

Many thanks,
Steve
Old 25th August 2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverse View Post

Any other "donor chassis" I should be looking at?
Scimitar ? have been used before for low buck rods....

Found this info & pic on Rods & Sods:

SE6 wheelbase of about 104", SE5 is around 6"shorter

but don't take it as gospel - front IFS a bit fugly though

Old 25th August 2009, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

build it then go register it in northern ireland and bring back. simples
Old 25th August 2009, 07:09 PM

The most important thing to understand about using a production chassis under a se7en is that virtually all production chassis, certainly the Herald etc, and the Scimitar, put the engine between the front wheels rather than behind it. This can be very significant.