Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd December 2010, 04:31 PM

Default Fibreglass - one for Spud

As it's quiet on here - and I'm winding down at work - I'm pondering my poor mistress who I havent seen for 7 days know as I can't get down the garage at the moment

Conisdering how it is regualrly said how flammable fibreglass is - I was wondering what Saturn bodywork was made from and how flammable it is. I seem to remember seeing Spuds car at Stoneleigh having heat damaged arches due to the exhaust but there was no sign of the towering inferno people go on about.

Leading on from this, how much space should you leave around your exhaust as it goes through the bonnet?
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:08 PM

Hello David,

The resin used is Encore 30 which is a Polystyrene based resin rather than Epoxy. The data sheets for the product talk about the material in its pre-cured state and say that the auto - ignition point is 490deg. However the resin is a lot more stable once cured, especially since the actual glass is non-combustible.

As you say the exhaust on my orange car is very close to the side panel, 5mm, and has caused negligible damage. The side repeater has suffered a lot more. A comfortable clearance i say would be 20mm, in my experience.

Hope that helps....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH