Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th May 2014, 11:48 AM

Look at VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy etc middle rear seats apparently are narrow enough to fit.
Old 8th May 2014, 01:44 PM

I got some westfield seats from ebay think about £120 for a pair, they look good, pretty comfy and well made comparted cheap new ones. Lotus elise mk1's fit I think but arn't that comfy apparantly.
Old 8th May 2014, 08:51 PM

Exige seats just barely fit according to the book specs. Once I skinned the tunnel, I could no longer use the slider that came with the seats. The passenger side fits with minor modification to the seat bracket. If I did it again I would adjust the tunnel width by 1cm.

I paid $900US for a used set. They are very comfortable.
Old 8th May 2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have had an idea which I think will help. When I built the tunnel I made it wide enough to accomodate the flange on the diff, which would actually be behind the seat when it is set up for my short arsed legs. I can therefore redesign the tunnel to give me an extra 40mm each side, which should make all the difference. It's a fair chunk of work but will be much better so I think that is the way to go. I then have a much wider choice of cheap seating at my disposal. Spending a grand on a pair of Exige seats simply aint goint to happen I don't think I will spend that on the whole car.
Dave.
Be careful if your using the mx5 rear end the nose of the diff is off center. So a right hand drive car has the diff nose closer to the driver.
Old 19th May 2014, 04:03 PM

Default mx-5 seats do fit .... after an angle grinder treatment

I managed to build in a pair of MX-5 seats in my Sierra-based book chassis.
But only after removing the hinge mechanism and some more millimeters of metal. And of course seat and backrest welded in a permanent position.

Also the sliding mechanism has been used, again with some angle grinding and "rectifying".

Eddy
Old 26th May 2014, 08:30 AM

I bought a pair of Westfield seats the other day, they fit perfectly into the mx5 build chassis & are really comfortable. Got them for a bargain price of £108 off eBay, really chuffed ! I was going to build a bench seat, but after asking the seller for dimensions I thought that I would take a punt. Best investment on the build so far !