Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I noticed this whilst browsing ebay. The guy is only 30 or so miles away from me, so I sent him an email for a bit more info.

Its only the bare chassis and doesnt come with any of the chassis plates.

He gave me an email address that had talon motorsports in it, so I googled it. Found talon sports cars, but not sure if its the same guy.

I'm looking to buy a chassis as complete as possible, and expected to be paying closer to the £800 mark
Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask if you can go and have a look at a completed chassis

If the seller is agreeable to this, feel free to report your findings back to us forum members

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 19th July 2009, 08:55 AM

Personally I don't see the logic in offering a chassis that needs more welding done to it.

I assume that the main reason for buying rather than making a chssis is that the buyer doesn't have welding or fabricating facilities, and doesn't want to acquire them.
Old 19th July 2009, 09:29 AM

A fair point is that one

I am not feeling in such a cynical mood this morning

After digesting spikehaus's comments. Yes any income is better than none

If you are not looking to make a bundle, do not have any overheads, I suppose a modest profit could be made. !!

This is assuming the following

The build table is made & jigged up for the base rails, jig for front frame is to hand.

Then perhaps by doing a special deal with armoto for a pe-cut chassis pack. sub £200

A skilled fabricator should be able to construct the basic frame & fully weld within 2-3 days

Deduct £50 for a few consumables & ebay fees

That will leave a very modest £100'ish for a couple of hard days graft

I would definately like to see the product first hand & gauge the sellers skill level, before I commited to buy though

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 19th July 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:12 AM

Hello to all that have commented on my ebay listing it's always a good idea to do market research before throwing money and time down the drain. So for the 40p that the ebay listing has cost me so far I'd says it's money well spent.
I've taken on board your comments about having to add the welded parts to an already painted chassis. The reason for suppling a chassis in such basic form was intended to be a starting point to take the difficult and most daunting part of the chassis construction off the builders mind.
As for the quality of the materials it's all as it should be 16 gauge box section and would have been a light dust over with satin black as most cars seem to take over two years to complete.
My usual line of buisness is as a Autograss fabricator and painter building cars,rollcages,fuel tanks,resprays etc. My over heads are very low due to being a one man band and unlike large company's with air craft hanger rent and 10-20 wages to pay I am able to under cut them some what.
As for getting what you pay for I might as well put the prices up now knowing what people are willing to pay for what should be a 'locost' product, So less 'locost' more kit car?
Thank you all for your input and comments I'll will get some pics posted on ebay or on here in the next week or so.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:52 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Old 19th July 2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les g View Post
Flippin heck thats a really good price if the chassis is any good
les g
i hope Mr talonmotorsport took notice that i was the only one on here not to be cynical ............
perhaps i,ll get a discount on my next project?????
cheers les g

PS: Welcome to the madhouse
Old 19th July 2009, 12:45 PM

Is Talon Motorsport related in any way to Talon Sportscars?

These are the people I mean
http://www.talonsportscars.com/index.php
Old 19th July 2009, 12:48 PM

welcome to the forum to Talon motorsport,

as has been said regarding your prices, keep them at an attractive price for future new builders, good luck with your new venture of The Roadster .

the reaction to your listing on ebay is more a case of the "unknown" & so folk maybe a little apprehensive of the product you offer, but if the product is as good as can be achieved at a fair price then the orders will come in i,m sure.

all the best
andy
Old 19th July 2009, 12:58 PM
fabbyglass

About 6 or 7 years ago I was making two chassis kits with front and rear wishbones, uprights, engine mounts for both bike and car motors and pedals....cutting the steel myself and welding it all together in 4 days yes 4 days as they would be collected by the firm I made them for on a Friday with their customers collecting their kits on a Saturday...easy if you have worked as a fabricator since leaving school Grp came about because I shared a workshop with a mad laminator and just fancied a change.
Old 19th July 2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
About 6 or 7 years ago I was making two chassis kits with front and rear wishbones, uprights, engine mounts for both bike and car motors and pedals....cutting the steel myself and welding it all together in 4 days yes 4 days as they would be collected by the firm I made them for on a Friday with their customers collecting their kits on a Saturday...easy if you have worked as a fabricator since leaving school Grp came about because I shared a workshop with a mad laminator and just fancied a change.
I really doubt the laminator was madder than you lol lol