Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2012, 08:18 AM

Default pedal construction

So I can't start my build log yet, as I'm waiting until I sell my truck to fund the "locost" project. (Wife says one project @ a time, can you believe that!?) So I decided to wittle at the things I can do for free, lots of free material @ my work, but no square tubing : ( So I bent the main roll bar hoop but its not nearly as good as I hoped, so I'm doing that later!

Anyway, I started cutting out the gas and clutch pedals with the plasma, and already started deviating from the book. First, my clutch will be hydraulic, so I left the bottom cable tang off the clutch, so I could mount the push rod clevis up on pedal. Sorry if I'm being vague,but I'm typing from my Droid and I just burned my left thumb so its slow going!

Basic clutch pedal

And also I had to enlarge the diameter of the round section due to me only having some 25mm/1inch tube not 22mm.

Here's the gas/accelerator. Notice how sharp the pedal face bend is, (that was not intended!)

Now the 25mm/1inch tube I scrounged was also galv. So PLEASE WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR WHEN WELDING!

Notice the "purdy yellow coloring!"

I also reinforced the pedals, those pictures later. Let me know what you think, and if I'm doing something "deathly wrong"! Thanks in advance for all input
Old 4th January 2012, 08:38 AM

Am sure someone will come along soon to put me right but what thickness steel did you use as the 3mm in the book is generally considered too flimsy and could bend when you stand on clutch and brake pedals I think most use 6mm plate to counteract this weekness someone please confirm my thoughts on this
Old 4th January 2012, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

yep you want to make the clutch pedal out of 5mm. my 3mm one bent as did adrians and andy's

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 4th January 2012, 11:19 AM

Right dont take this the wrong way. Have you done some welds and tested their strength as they look a bit "shit".Thats not to say that a pretty weld is strong as i have seen plenty of "gorilla" welds as we call them(strong but Fu***ng ugly!) on the mine where i work.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:13 PM

He did mention "galv" pipe,that's why it looks f,ugly weld.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 4th January 2012, 01:17 PM

I understand that but we weld galv pipe all the time and you wouldnt really tell the difference between that and normal steel when we(not me) weld it.Was just a point of view and suggestion and not meant to be derogatory.
Old 4th January 2012, 06:03 PM

Here's what I used for bushings, (a 4x4 post of nylon!) I cut a cross section at 1 3/16"(30mm) then took "core samples" with 1" (25mm) hole saw

I can't find a collar/sleeve to act as a crush tube so ill just let it ride on the 1/4'' bolt,(6mm?) I may drill and tape bushing (bush? LOL) tubes for a grease zirk

Here's with bushing installed. Went in alittle easy, if the bushing is spinning in tube, I may have to add some welds inside for grip. I saw someone (don't remember who, sorry) but they welded round bar stock on the front for stregth, I didn't like the look of that, and thought this would look better.....now I'm thinking the best way would be either add the plate or bar to back of pedals, leaving a slim profile in front.. of course it would need notched for clevis/cable clearance that way. I will quote Jack from Kinetic Vehicles, (who makes cast aluminum ones for 30/each, only 3hr drive from me!) When he said: "I'm not much of a bling guy, and its dark down there in the drivers footwell, so I don't much car!" Sorry for quoting you Jack, if your on here!
Old 4th January 2012, 06:04 PM

Thank you for comments and concerns, sorry I failed to mention I've been converting everything to SAE, and using 1/8" plate and will use 3/16" for brake pedal. (3mm and 5mm). As I mentioned before, I HAVE reinforced my pedals, As I figured with some of these nightmare stories of bent pedals, and since it would melt bushings if I decided to do it later. I'm not going to test for strength, but I know I got good enough penetration, that they will be strong enough for even my "frantic clutch kicks"!

Here's the "spine" of 1/8" plate I welded down the outside of each pedal, sorry for 5mp droid pics!

IIRC the "height" of these plates was approx. 3/8" to 7/16". And length of 5" on clutch and 5 3/4" on gas(please don't ask to convert) why can't I find a metric tape measure?
Old 4th January 2012, 06:11 PM

Here they are painted:

Gloss black sure makes those "gorilla welds" look better!

Oh, and where gloves when grinding, so you don't "clean your cuticles" with a grinder wheel!

Or maybe I'm flipping off whoever said my welds "looked like shite"! Lol
Old 4th January 2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
He did mention "galv" pipe,that's why it looks f,ugly weld.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , Kin ell. Turn up the amps or slow down the wire.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669