Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th February 2012, 10:03 PM

Question Body panel forming

Any of you guys tried fabricating bodywork using the metal frame method and then cover with draylon or silk type fabric? I think you then apply resin to it let it go off then layer up the glass from the inside.

Found a great site where a guy has used this frame and fabric method (albeit a pro car designer) and the results are stunning - don't think he's glassed it up but the idea is there

http://www.behance.net/gallery/LotusEsira-id/1869471

IMHO this is prob one of the nicest shaped cars I've ever seen ... I know some will disagree but then I suppose that why we are all putting our own touch on a base model

Not that I'm planning on building my car this way but may be worth a dabble for certain panels etc...

What do you think

Rapid?
Old 9th February 2012, 10:21 PM

This sort of method is quite common to build fibreglass sub boxes and ICE doorbuilds, usually using MDF for the framework.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:27 PM

Same can be done using foam, carve the foam to the desired shape then glass it up then dig away as much or as little of the foam as you want from the back. The glass is rough as a badgers doodad so the last layer would ideally be surface tissue to cut down on the prep needed for painting.

Or there is some gloop you can buy that is either brushed or sprayed on which you can flat off and polish up, but like most things that work it's damn expensive gloop.