Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st August 2009, 04:24 PM

Default pinto/DOHC/Zetec/Duratec, T9/MT75

First of all: Hi guys!

I'm slowly planning my roadster build and came across hard decision - what to put under the bonnet?
I'd like to build the car as much as in the book as possible - to make things easy an reasonably cheap, then, after a while put some decent 2.0 zetec, duratec or maybe opel (for you: vauxhall :P) X20. But: older sierras (the ones with pinto&type9 box) are getting pretty rare around here (i live in poland). Since putting MT75 is pretty well documented on this forum, I don't mind it (and there must be something better about it if ford replaced type9 with it). But what about engine? I know the DOHC is heavier, less tuneable, but I don't mind much too. But how about fitting it? Body&exhaust isn't really the problem, redesigning the chassis is what I'm afraid of - can it be fit in the same place as pinto, only with different engine mounts?

Another thing is - how hard could be swapping SOHC/DOHC for Zetec/Duratec? Can the gearbox stay in place, fitting only different bellhousing? I really don't like the idea of cutting half of the car after it's been finished
Old 1st August 2009, 05:29 PM

I understand that the Duratec engine has a different bolt pattern to the other engines, so you would need to budget for a special bellhousing or make some kind of adaptor.

If cost is a consideration then I would ssuggest starting off with whatever comes with the donor, then swapping for a Zetec when one comes along at the right price.

I don't know what the regulations in Poland are regarding emissions etc, in the UK if the Zetec is older than 95 (August I think) then it can be run on carburettors as long as some kind of ignition ecu is fitted (no distributor on the Zetec)

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by mr henderson : 1st August 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: To add the welcome when I noticed it was his first post
Old 1st August 2009, 06:09 PM

hi axle (on here ) has put the dohc motor in and he says it been murder
we,ve put in a zetec and so far its very easy
cheers les g

dont forget if you put a pinto in when you come to change it to a zetec all the bits will be on the wrong side and things like exhaust wont be reusable another expense etc etc
senders for clocks will be wrong etc etc
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:55 PM

Duratec bellhousings to Type 9 are available from Rally Design but cost close to £300, you could have an adaptor plate made up but would have to move the clutch release bearing face closer by the same distance as the thickness of the adaptor.

If you were planning a change of engine from left hand induction to right hand then the pedal box needs to be in the footwell and the steering column needs to be routed to avoid inlets, breathers etc.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:12 PM

I'm just about to put a 1.8 Pinto in mine until the man from the ministry has had his way.

Then I plan to put a Vauxhall C20XE engine in, complete with bike throttles and a megasquirt. You can match the type 9 to an XE with an adaptor bellhousing from SBD - http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Gearbox/Bellh...Bellhouses.htm

And I think there are a few tweaks required to the clutch, combining a ford drive plate and so on to get everything to match up. As far as I can see this engine seems to provide the best 'bang per buck' of the popular engines out there.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:36 PM

you are right the C20XE is an awesome motor and can be tned to silly amonts of power
its also easy to turbo as vauxhall have already done it for you ..........
they done a 4x4 turbo cavaliar and it went very well
a lad in our work had one tuned up and it was very quick indeed
cheers les g
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:21 PM

Once the car is complete - I reckon the C20XE conversion will cost about £600 - that's an engine, ECU, bike throttle bodies and gearbox mating bits. It sounds expensive, but when you consider that you will get 150bhp standard, and 200bhp ain't far away.

I could do it now, but figured it would be much more cost effective to get going with the Pinto. My build is going far quicker than I expected so I need to balance the budget!!!
Old 4th August 2009, 12:32 AM

Suppose I want to go for a Zetec-E with twin Weber DCOE carbs. Where do I get the manifold? Does it have to be custom fabricated, or are there any aftermarket or standard ones?
Old 9th September 2009, 07:41 AM

I don`t understand why people in UK still use type-9 + duratec.
extra money for type-9 rebuild, bellhousing, hydraulic release bearing, expensiv flywheel + disk etc. easer and heaper is using mx-5 transmision 5 or 6 speed.
We can buy mx5 transmision + stock flywheel + mx5 cluth kit for about 300£
If my grammar/spelling is off please correct me, I'm still learning!