Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th August 2011, 09:09 PM

Default What on earth is wrong with my clutch???

Hi guys,

my clutch stopped working on my last track day, and I've been at a loss as to what's wrong with it. Here's the story.

Car was running well, nice and quick. About 10 laps in, I missed third and grabbed first gear instead. The car lurches but holds ok. A couple of laps later I actually get quick enough to get 5th, but when changing back down it won't go in gear. I finally get 3rd, but after that it won't select any gears at all.

I get recovered back to the pits and find that when stationary with the engine running I can't select any gears, but the car will edge forwards when trying to push the gearstick into a gear.

So I diagnose a clutch that won't release. After scouring BMW E34 websites, the suggestion is that the hydraulics are at fault. But after replacing the master AND slave cylinders and bleeding the system with a pressure bleeder, the problem is exactly as it was before.

So:

1. Clutch pedal feels fine
2. Car creeps (quite strongly) when I try and select a gear
3. It has a dual mass flywheel
4. Gears all select fine with engine off, and the car lurches if I turn the starter with it in gear, no matter if the pedal is up or down.
5. It's a BMW M60 3.0L V8 engine and gearbox from the donor E34 530i

I'm wondering now, has the clutch assembly separated from the flywheel? Has the dual mass flywheel broken somehow? (I have no experience with this type of flywheel)

I now have to pull the engine out and I have to get it fixed within 2 weeks for the CKC magazine track day. AAAAAaarrrggghhh! Help!!!

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46