Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th June 2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
Actually, I published the 3D drawing on my website now.

There are a lot of different set-ups for the brake lines/pipes INSIDE the chassis.

https://sites.google.com/site/hydrau...ferent-set-ups

A cracking little resource - has helped me think about what I need to have in place - much appreciated!
Old 18th June 2013, 06:21 PM

just a couple more questions for you all ive attached a pic of a part
could some one tell me do we use it and were dose it go ?? I had it with a load of parts in a box

also what is the easiest to put a brake pressure switch or a switch on the brake pedal

thanks

IMG-20130618-00313.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130618-00313.jpg (78.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 18th June 2013, 07:06 PM

Hi Steve,
The part you show is the rear proportioning valve, which releases the pressure on the rear brake when the car is breaking, as the weight transfer goes towards the front of the car, rear wheels are lighten, so they can block easily.
It looks like you do not need it on the Roadster if you use the rear drum set-up, as the weight transfer of the car (the roadster is very light) associated to the "poor" braking of the drums will not make the rear wheel blocking before the car fully stops. However, people who have a 4-disc set-up install the valve because a blockage can occur easier.

When it comes to the brake light switch, again, it is a question of preferences. Some people installed an electric switch on the pedal and went back to a pressure switch because of the electric wires you have around your feet (I think it is the case of Ajay IIR). As the pedal of the Roadster are fitted on the floor, it is quite hard to fine a good place to put an electric switch. Much easier when the pedal are top mounted. But some people managed to install an electric switch in spite of this difficulties. I think the easiest way is to use a pressure switch on a tee piece (the VW Beatle one is excellent, cheap, and M10x1.00). Some say that the reactivity of a pressure switch is slower then an electric switch (which is instant-reacting of course), certainly true, but the use of the VW looks to be OK for IVA.
It also exists banjo bolts with an integrated pressure switch. But I don't advise them, first because there is no reason to fit banjos on the master cylinder of the Roadster (enough room for copper pipes or tubular fittings, and banjos are a hell to bleed and also more expensive), and second because I installed this kind of banjo bolt on one my motorbkies (Cagiva elefant) when the electric brake light switch broke, and I can say they are way not reactive enough: you have to brake hard to lit the brake light.

Sorry for my English if I am not clear enough

Good luck
Old 18th June 2013, 07:33 PM

thanks again for that m8