Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd June 2010, 12:54 PM

Default DVLA Inspection - No Longer Required?

Spotted this elsewhere -

http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?id=188557

Does anyone know if this only applies to new builds? Or will our donor built roadsters no longer require an inspection. Could save a fair bit of hassle and cost if we don't have to get them inspected anymore!

Anyone got any contacts in the DVLA who could confirm?

Cheers

Dave
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:19 PM

Having recently been through this process myself i know i definately needed a dvla inspection. Im assuming it will be for brand new builds with all new parts although i wouldnt hold my breath!

The dvla can make you jump through as many hoops as they want at the end of the day they issue you your registration no. and your tax disc so you have to do whatever they say. My car was parked outside my local dvla office doorway and they wouldnt come outside to inspect the chassis/engine no.s!

They said they werent equipped to take kit cars there and it went against health and safety although all the customers are allowed to park there

I was told i had to wait 10 days and take it 20 miles away for the same person who wouldnt come out of the office to inspect it at a vosa testing station?!

I can call them what i like now my car is all finished and on the road.................... A bunch of absolute f-ing idiots who havnt got a clue and all contradict each other on a daily basis. Im glad we live in a country where we can all build our own cars and end up with them legally on the road but the dvla part of it needs some looking at in my opinion.

My IVA test was much less complicated and the whole thing was a joy compared to dealing with the DVLA!

Sorry..... rant over!

Sounds like a step in the right direction if its true
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:41 PM

THe main problem with DVLA is the totally useless telephone enquiry system,I went to great lengths before my IVA to find out what I had to do regarding registration as I live 25 mls from Beverley Dvla & the same from Lincoln Dvla. After 3 long waits on the line pressing 1 for this etc, 2 people said use Beverley and one said Lincoln, so I trailered my car to Beverley straight from the IVA. I didn`t expect a registration no etc there and then but they wouldn`t even process my paperwork saying Lincoln was nearer & my local office, they did however take my paperwork & say they would send it to Lincoln who would do the Inspection etc & handle it from there. I then received a letter from Lincoln saying I had to wait 2 weeks for an inspection & if I couldn`t make that date it would be another 2 weeks, so I`ve had the day off tomorrow to make this appointment. Lincoln cannot now process the paperwork as it was handed in at Beverley, they have to post the paperwork back to Beverley and let them do it, despite Beverley saying I couldn`t do this. We will see how I get on tomorrow! I feel that if you could call DVLA locally and speak to a human straightaway all this may be avoided.

Also forgot to say that as Mark says the IVA was a breeze compared with the DVLA!

Dennis.

Last edited by drury318 : 2nd June 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drury318 View Post
THe main problem with DVLA is the totally useless telephone enquiry system,I went to great lengths before my IVA to find out what I had to do regarding registration as I live 25 mls from Beverley Dvla & the same from Lincoln Dvla. After 3 long waits on the line pressing 1 for this etc, 2 people said use Beverley and one said Lincoln, so I trailered my car to Beverley straight from the IVA. I didn`t expect a registration no etc there and then but they wouldn`t even process my paperwork saying Lincoln was nearer & my local office, they did however take my paperwork & say they would send it to Lincoln who would do the Inspection etc & handle it from there. I then received a letter from Lincoln saying I had to wait 2 weeks for an inspection & if I couldn`t make that date it would be another 2 weeks, so I`ve had the day off tomorrow to make this appointment. Lincoln cannot now process the paperwork as it was handed in at Beverley, they have to post the paperwork back to Beverley and let them do it, despite Beverley saying I couldn`t do this. We will see how I get on tomorrow! I feel that if you could call DVLA locally and speak to a human straightaway all this may be avoided.

Also forgot to say that as Mark says the IVA was a breeze compared with the DVLA!

Dennis.
I arrest my case

You will be on the road before you know it
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:49 PM

DVLA inspection IS required for kit conversion and rebuilt cars but no longer required for kit cars built from Brand new parts but they do have to go through the full IVA (more stringent - especially emissions) whereas cars like the haynes roadster is build from second hand parts and only requires the BIVA.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:28 PM

Finally sorted and on the road. I went to Lincoln yesterday and after some discussion about how much of the donor car I had used ( all of it bar the engine )and how to prove it was the diff gearbox etc from the donor she sent the paperwork to Beverley DVLA.
Beverley rang at lunchtime to say they needed payment, can`t do it over the phone I have to post it or bring it in person, about 20mls and a couple of bridge tickets. I asked is there any benefit in bringing it over posting, will I be on the road any quicker?, no it`s got to go to Swansea either way.
I decided to go in person and hey ho waiting for me is my J plate & everything else! good job I went. Plates now made up & car roadtested .
All seems ok but it`s very windy, cycle wings seem to wobble alarmingly so I don`t know how long they will last, but I am chuffed to bits & it`s very quick and seems to handle really well etc.

Dennis.
Old 4th June 2010, 10:30 PM

Nice one mate.

I am glad you have finally got there.

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Finally sorted and on the road. I went to Lincoln yesterday and after some discussion about how much of the donor car I had used ( all of it bar the engine )and how to prove it was the diff gearbox etc from the donor she sent the paperwork to Beverley DVLA.
Beverley rang at lunchtime to say they needed payment, can`t do it over the phone I have to post it or bring it in person, about 20mls and a couple of bridge tickets. I asked is there any benefit in bringing it over posting, will I be on the road any quicker?, no it`s got to go to Swansea either way.
I decided to go in person and hey ho waiting for me is my J plate & everything else! good job I went. Plates now made up & car roadtested .
All seems ok but it`s very windy, cycle wings seem to wobble alarmingly so I don`t know how long they will last, but I am chuffed to bits & it`s very quick and seems to handle really well etc.

Dennis.

Both things i have also encountered, the day i fitted my cycle wings i thought they were a bit floppy so took them back off and beefed up the bracket material to 5mm. You really dont want them hitting the tyres!

A good tip for other builders by the way

They are windy but you get used to it! wear safety glasses and a benny hat pulled down to cover the top edge of the glasses and keep your mouth shut this really does make a huge difference. I also have an aeroscreen on mine from saturn which seems to help a little.

Went on a drive with spud and a few other sevens the other day with hat and glasses on, we covered 90miles, some of it at quite high speed and i was very comfortable

Wait until you get it on the country lanes, its amazing how fast you can take the corners

Well done on getting on the road, cant believe you got a j plate too!
Old 6th June 2010, 07:49 PM

I spoke to Andy H at saturn who is sending me an aeroscreen, he also suggested beefing up the cycle wing bkts, which I am on with at the moment (it`s raining here! ),doubling up the 3mm flat bar part seems to work OK.
I have some safety glasses to try but I don`t know about the Benny hat!
How does it keep your mouth shut???!!!!!!

Dennis.
Old 6th June 2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I spoke to Andy H at saturn who is sending me an aeroscreen, he also suggested beefing up the cycle wing bkts, which I am on with at the moment (it`s raining here! ),doubling up the 3mm flat bar part seems to work OK.
I have some safety glasses to try but I don`t know about the Benny hat!
How does it keep your mouth shut???!!!!!!

Dennis.
You will look a bit of a thug with the hat on but once you get over 70 even the safety glasses start flapping about and the wind gets your eyes, the hat helps keep em in place and keeps your bonce warm! its supprising how cold it gets on a long run, even on a hot day. Oh yeah, it also protects against flies splatting on your forehead.

But your right the hat doesnt keep your mouth shut, unless you get your mrs to sew in a super tight chinstrap

The reason i said that is a few of my passengers said it takes your breath away in the wind, so i just tell them to keep their mouths shut!