Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd August 2009, 07:19 PM

Default another new starter

hi all
i just thought id let you know ive started my build i havnt got very far yet it took me most of the afternoon to build the stand for my chop saw anyway here are the pics so far

cheers Andy

https://vstuff.virginmedia.com/n/50-...4a90366c87f8a/
Old 22nd August 2009, 07:48 PM

a warm welcome to the forum, from another Andy, there are alot of us Andy,s building a Roadster
where abouts are you located? most folk put their location in their profile .

best of luck with your build, lots of help from everyone on here.

all the best
andy (the handy one )
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:47 PM

thanks andy ive updated my profile now
im really looking forward to starting some welding i have made some iron gates before and did a good job on them with a cheap arc welder i havnt got a welder as yet but im looking to spend around £100 if anyone as any suggestions im thinking maybe gasless mig ive seen a few on screwfix direct and one on diy.com (b n q)

thanks Andy
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:59 PM

i,m not an experienced welder but i,d suggest using a GAS mig, as most seem to find its easier to weld the chassis .

you,ll find most of the answers to questions about building a Roadster on this forum, i say most , but mean all,

all the best
andy
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:18 PM

Never mind the welding, i hate it, i love milling stuff as i can control it! Welcome to an exclusive Club! I have been a little silent recently due to major changes in my life. Still in few weeks I will have a lovely lady living with me!

I started cutting up and profiling the box section six months before I even made the build table a long storey but...U have started and I hope your project makes you as happy as it has for most of us here.

Nick
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:25 PM

Welcome.

It's good fun, and a good forum with some very knowledgeable people.

Get a GAS mig They are much nicer, you can see a decent weld pool!! And if at all possible, use the big bottles of gas. the tiny Machine Mart/Halfrauds gas bottles last about 6 minutes.

As an aside, if you are also new to welding, check out http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ There is a forum there as well, and they are, once again , friendly and knowledgeable.

Good luck with the build

Sean
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:59 PM

The main problem of the machine mart gas was not lasting six min's, just simply not being able to get enough heat into the component. I have refillable bottle of gas that is new an unused. It holds 4 x the disposables. If you need one I will ask South West Welding Supplies to get you one. I paid £40. on let 60 I think? Hope it helps
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:47 PM

ive been looking around and i wish i could afford a gas mig and to run it but unfortunatly i cant so ive at least gone a step up from arc and got myself a nice little gasless set from screw fix that was on offer from £170 i think down to £117

cheers Andy.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehaus View Post
The main problem of the machine mart gas was not lasting six min's, just simply not being able to get enough heat into the component. I have refillable bottle of gas that is new an unused. It holds 4 x the disposables. If you need one I will ask South West Welding Supplies to get you one. I paid £40. on let 60 I think? Hope it helps
A lot of the small disposable bottles of gas only hold 60L of gas. CO2 is measured in grams, but CO2/AR mix and Ar are measured in litres. The "big" bottles they sell hold 110 litres.

At a flow rate of 10L/min the small bottles will last 6 minutes or so. Which is, scarily enough, about a metre of weld.

I'm not sure the MM gas gives problems getting heat into a weld, I have welded plenty of stuff with disposible bottles, it's just they are VERY uneconomical.

And I have used a gasless MIG as well. The weld pool is pants but at least gasless meant I was able to weld some gates outside, in Lanzarote (very breezy).

If I were to weld outside now I would still use my gas mig, just crank up the flow rate (20l/min is cool when you have a 47L bottle)

Sean
Old 25th August 2009, 06:47 PM

well i ordered the kende welder from screwfix marked down to clear from £169.99 to £117.44 and it arrived today and so far im very impressed it looks very well built its quite a large welder really and it can be switched from gasless wire to gas wire it has a sturdy shelf on the rear for a bottle and comes with heavy duty castors the only downside it didnt come with any wire so now ive got to order some either gasless wire or some wire and a gas bottle and now i dont know what to go for to weld my chassis up