Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th June 2014, 09:38 PM

Default hi and progress so far

So after building a locost and then losing it when I got divorced here we go with round 2 !! with encouragement from my new missus who is dead keen on the whole idea I decided to go down the mx5 route.
incidentally not that my missus is a petrolhead but she had a mustang when we met stateside where I managed to get my first speeding fine , red mustang doing 90 on the interstate and £180 for the pleasure, enjoy the usa sir !!
anyway now we are back in sunny lossiemouth, Scotland and have got my chassis onto 4 wheels and am waiting for the engine to arrive from way down south
here is a pic of progress so far

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/attac...d=140389774 7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140621_175015.jpg (77.5 KB, 209 views)
Old 28th June 2014, 12:21 AM

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see yet another mx5 builder. If you have any questions please ask.

I'm guessing your in the raf with your location

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:36 AM

hi David many thanks , no im not RAF I am a cooper and I make whisky barrels for a living for my sins. Had many bikes over the years, an mgb, tvr 3000m, xr4x4 then had to be sensible and didn't like it so here we are doing what we enjoy .
thanks again for the welcome gary
Old 28th June 2014, 09:37 AM

Looking good, what engine are you going for? The Mazda one or something a bit more exotic / ridiculous?
Old 28th June 2014, 09:12 PM

yes just the plain old mazda this time, not even close to finishing, and already the missus has said what SHE wants in hers
So let her pick the colour and I'll teach her how to drive it on the proper side of the road and then.....
Old 29th June 2014, 02:10 AM

Welcome Gary the cooper....was'nt he a film star looking forward to watching another haynes take shape.
Old 29th June 2014, 08:22 AM

Welcome to the forum Gary, Rally Design do some really good deals, just bought a set of Gaz coilovers for £380 including springs & shipping. Very impressed ! Phil of Talon Motorsport on this forum does loads of fabricating work, the mx5 engine mount brackets are a must, makes the job a lot easier, then we have K4kev , he is the fuel tank guru. There are some really clever people on here, handy to know. Don't ask me anything, I am learning as I go ! Lol
Old 29th June 2014, 11:35 PM

Word or warning: your headlight stalks seem to be on the long side. Mine are shorter and I'm thinking of shortening them still, because the lights impact the cycle wings on full lock and suspension compression. The nose cone does not project outside the top chassis rails, so you you can judge the gap there by offering a cardboard cutout of your chosen headlight size or just measuring the distance between the headlight mounting hole and the top chassis rails. As for the 400 mm maximum dimension between the side of the car and the edge of the headlight, just remember that the widest point of the car is at the rear arches and it is 169-170 cm depending on your tub and wings. You can work out the minimum distance between the light mounting holes based on that width and the size of your lights.

Update: that said, I positioned the bulge of the cycle wings right beside the headlight, so you might be fine:

Last edited by alga : 29th June 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 30th June 2014, 08:06 PM

hi many thanks for that I will do some measuring and adjust as needed, I'd rather cut them now if I need to !
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:24 PM

hi been busy at work but took home the heavy mob today and trina fed them in exchange for putting my engine and box in ! seriously picked it up and said where do you want it?
end of box was still full of oil though so while I swept up they had coffee. at least now I can get engine mounts made up and crack on again.
Gary

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/attac...d=140614312 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140723_194911.jpg (95.1 KB, 112 views)