Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th August 2010, 01:35 PM

For what its worth i brought a nice new bandsaw and a linisher cut the tubes as i went with the angles and then finished them of on the linisher for the perfect angle and fit. I quite enjoyed this bit to be honnest !!!
Old 26th August 2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Grumpy locost

I notice you are located in Essex, looking at your public profile I see that you list your occupation as a " Chassis Builder "

May I as what type of chassis do you build for living & are you affiliated to Tallon Motorsport

Is the fishing any good in Essex
This could get interesting.

Grumpy Locost, drop a private message to both Andy and Talon, let them tell you what you get/what is included, then make your own mind up.
Old 26th August 2010, 02:50 PM

Default Handy

I would have to put another notch in for handy's kit, I didn't buy mine from him, but off another builder who had given up before he got going. Thing is Handy even mailed me to offer the same warranty and the offer of recutting any lengths that had previously been welded. That is what the extra £50 gets you, I had looked at the £200 kit, and just thought it sounded a wrong'un, or too cheap maybe?? I haven't heard a bad thing about Handy.....yet.
Old 26th August 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonsean69 View Post
This could get interesting.

Grumpy Locost, drop a private message to both Andy and Talon, let them tell you what you get/what is included, then make your own mind up.
That is some sound advice there Sean

I would just like to re-assure Grumpy locost that there is no malice intended in my question.

Just sort of intrigued as to the nature of the post from a new member, bearing in mind that the request was being made on behalf of a friend

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 26th August 2010, 06:42 PM

It's entirely fair that everybody who has had dealings with Handy should speak in support of his stuff, as I am sure I would too if I had done so.

However I wanted a complete chassis, and being in Aylesbury I was within reasonable travelling distance of Talon, and I I knew I wanted to collect rather than risk a carrier (at some expense to) I ordered from Talon.

When I went to collect I saw one of their chassis kits laid out, and it looked perfect to me, and the quality of their service was way beyond what anybody could reasonably expect (they even loaded it on to my car while I stood and watched, and cut lengths of decent timber so as not to scratch the paintwork (it's a Volvo estate by the way, an old 960, so well up to the job).

So, what I am saying is that from my experience, Talon's service is as good as anyone's, and I expect if they had more customers on this forum then they would get more people speaking for them.

I've no connection with them apart from being a very satisfied customer.
Old 26th August 2010, 08:01 PM

i wouldn,t bother to build a chassis myself again.
its far too time consuming and frankly quite boring.
once you,ve done some of it.
if you cant commit lots of time and want to crack on with building your car
PLEASE buy a chassis ready built
the choice of supplier is yours
Saturn -Talon -3ge - will all do chassis,s and have a good reputation.
i have not seen Talons kit but he also gets good reviews
and if you want to see Andy,s kit we posted a few pictures of one that he
displayed at Stoneleigh show you,ll have to do a search as i,m crap on a puta and cant work out how to post a link.
cheers les g
Old 26th August 2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

these days we really are very fortunate to have a choice of suppliers. when i started building my roadster there was one supplier and the price was a lot higher, i got their chassis pack and a month later they went out of business with no backup or anything.

lets just all be happy that there are nice people like andy and talon to pick from.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 26th August 2010, 08:17 PM

Smile chassis builder

yes i do build chassis for transit and hgv it was not a pop at andy, but i just wonted to no beside the square tubing wot more u got .
Old 26th August 2010, 08:47 PM

I bought a chassis kit from Andy / Saturn, glad I did. I can't comment on anybody else's product from a first hand point of view but all those previously mentioned have consistently good reviews. I have a soft spot for Spud and Handy as I like the way they conduct their business and themselves. I didn't bother looking for cheaper once I was happy with what I was getting.
Enoch.
PS you can see it going together at my web site - www.deepfolly.co.uk. The chassis pack is one of Handy's the side panels and nosecone are the Saturn ones. I think they are somewhat spendid
Old 26th August 2010, 08:50 PM

I have put off replying to this post as I promised my family I would'nt get involved in forum politics and petty arguements on line. I run a business which I started with nothing, no financial backing no bank loan, just buying equipment as I earn it from sales. I am not a charity this business is to pay my bills, feed my kids and allow me to stay in the workshop. The customer has a choice he can buy from any company, it's just that I use the correct tools for the job through using my experience in the most efficient way. I have 10yrs experiance working in fabricating work shops, I know that using the right machinery will make production quick and easy and means you only have to make a cut once and have it come out correct. Our flat packs take 8 hrs to produce start to finish and for this we charge £80 for a days work.
I have been self employed for a year just producing roadster parts, by the end of this year I hope be producing the Ron Champion Locost, the McSorley 440 with DeDion axle, fibre glass body work for both in association with a local laminating company and have moved to in to my new workshop.
I have had 3 independant companies approch me regarding building chassis and components for a single seat bike powered super trike,a bike powered exo skelatal car and a modded roadster chassis for use with hotrods.
If my products where crap I would have a list of forum members posting as such, I have had one return in a year of trading which got refunded.
As of today this will be my last post on this forum, I have tried to offer numberous group buys to keep costs down to a group of interested builders but nobody seens interested.
With this I bid you farewell and good luck with all of your builds.
Regards Phil Eagle Talon Motorsport soon to be Talon Fabrications

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334