Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st January 2010, 07:38 PM

The tank I ordered was to the book specification, it was only when I tried to fit it I found that the back tub prevented it from fitting without cutting out and re-welding it. I am using ali rear panels so the tub is to book spec. Therefore, I decided to sit on top of the diff as it fitted nicely. Kind of a happy accident!
Old 21st January 2010, 07:39 PM

Taken from the CBS January newsletter -

TETHERING FUEL CAPS

UK IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) rules require that most fuel caps must be tethered to the filler neck so that you don't drive away from the petrol station leaving the cap on your wing or on the petrol pump.

Here's one suggestion on how to tether an Aero-style cap although you can apply similar techniques to many other types of cap.

The tether we chose is brass picture frame wire. It's a fine, multi-strand, flexible wire that has good corrosion resistance and can easily be soldered. To secure the ends we used cut-down uninsulated crimp terminals.

We drilled two 1.5mm holes in the plastic bottom of an Aero cap in a position that would not interfere with the locking action of the cap. The wire was threaded through the holes and the terminal slipped over the wire and crimped. You can also solder it for added strength.

The tether should be 6 or 8 inches long and must, of course, be also somehow tethered down inside the neck. Here we've shown one option looping through the holes of an unleaded insert before it is fitted into the neck. And simply drilling through the neck. The filler hose will just slide over the wire and seal higher up the neck.

We'll be selling a half metre of the cable with fuel caps for an extra quid if you need it.

Other styles of cap may have other tethering options like the one pictured below.
Old 22nd January 2010, 03:19 AM

Cheers Guys!

My tank is going in the conventional place, just a little taller and thinner than book spec?

Im still fairly baffled about what to do for outlet unions? How to join them or is there such a thing as a 1/4 npt threat ali nut that can be welded to the inside of the tank??

Jas