Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2010, 12:41 AM

Default Got Me Doner

Got my hands on a sierra doner 1.6 pinto engine with 65k and sounds sweet
250 notes delivered to the door, also got me a very nice set of alloys & tyres off ebay and going to pick up main steel tomorrow from marshalls of Peterlee ....6 lengths of inch and 2 lengths of 3/4 for £96.00 So I guess I might have to start on the build soon (well after I have promised to do all the "little" jobs I had promised er indoors ) as got t keep gaffer happy
will try to keep updated
K4
Old 26th April 2010, 01:50 AM

Nice one K4, now the fun begin's.

Don't forget to post pictures and updates of your build, what size ally rims have you got.

Terry
Old 26th April 2010, 09:45 AM

Hi Terry
5 spoke Dezents at 17"....came off a Saph cossy don't half look the dogs even just sitting in a pile (and will be staying there for some time yet ) Still a ways off starting as still in the process of collecting but envisage starting the chassis in a month or so
Kevin
Old 26th April 2010, 09:50 AM

Nice one Kev
You,ll soon be having fun stripping your donor

Thats a very good price for the steel, what lengths of steel are they supplying? as you may want to get an extra 20mm box length, also is the steel ERW ?

best wishes for your build

cheers
andy
Old 26th April 2010, 10:27 AM

Well done on finding your donor Kev

You may find that you need to collect an extra length of each size square tube !!
It has been a very long time since I made my chassis but I seem to remember that was the original quantity I had delivered & ended going up for an extra length of each

Not saying that the chassis can't be cut from that quantity but it will be very tight & don't forget, the jigs will use some of the 25 X 25 !!

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 26th April 2010, 01:58 PM

not a problem getting additional steel as the supplier is approx 10 mins from where I live ...Andy the lengths were 7.5m and I 'm fairly certain they are ERW their website is dwmarshall.co.uk.... I phoned around all the usual ones, Parkers, Carters, Pheonix, Corus, but really wanted a local one and hey it is right on my doorstep they even beat Pheonix's qoute...check them out, saving a few quid here and there soon mounts up.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
not a problem getting additional steel as the supplier is approx 10 mins from where I live ...Andy the lengths were 7.5m and I 'm fairly certain they are ERW their website is dwmarshall.co.uk.... I phoned around all the usual ones, Parkers, Carters, Pheonix, Corus, but really wanted a local one and hey it is right on my doorstep they even beat Pheonix's qoute...check them out, saving a few quid here and there soon mounts up.
Cool having a stockist so close to home

Don't forget to have a raid of their scrap bins & cutting room floors .... You'll be surprised at what you might find

All of my plate was from the off-cut bins & the 5" pipe for the rear uprights was found on the cutting room floor, cost a fraction of the retail price

My stockist is a 25 min drive for me + if you want the lenghts cut so as it will fit into the car ..... £1 for the first cut & 50p for every extra cut .... That's if they have the time to do it at all

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 26th April 2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Remember to sell off all the sierra parts you don't need. The Sierra Owners club is a good start but don't expect the earth.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 26th April 2010, 07:03 PM

here are some piccies ....what a flippen palavour to resize for the forum ....met a real nice guy down at marshalls he was very helpfull no charge for cutting the lengths in half and chatted about the roadster for a good 20mins.... turns out he had a westie some time back, and is liking the idea of building completely from scratch meaning the chassis of course, so might have another convert soon and very handy to know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adj 1.jpg (17.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg the donor.jpg (18.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg the steel.jpg (19.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg steel close up.jpg (12.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 26th April 2010, 07:09 PM

Oh forgot to mention ..Andy the steel is S235 spec and looks identical to the stell used in the manual, I do realise I need to use the ERW stuff for the wishbones and they said they could supply that as well....they are also aluminium stockists plate, durbar,(chequerplate) etc very helpful company they will certainly be my supplier as from now.