Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th February 2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
I am not stuck in my ways,

I converted a 1.8 RWD sierra to 24V V6. and 4x4 with ABS.

I have converted a 1.1 Carb Golf to 1.3 EFI

And converted a FWD golf to Full IRS with longnatudinal engine..

there are only 1 or 2 4x4 Sierra based Roadsters neither of which I think are IVA'd, so it's not been done to death.

If you realy think it's a goer, then post up some pics of what you think it's body is going to look like. Are you plannign a 7-esq or full boddied car?

TT

The engine will be right up front like you, the difference in weight if 80Kg(transfer box and drive shafts, the photo of that car that was posted other than the grill looking ugly is how it will basicly look the suspension i have only drawn up rough on paper at the mo as am stripping the donor first. When i have the frame and have tested the suspension lengths then i will post it all on here so anyone wanna see how i did it they can see for them selves
Old 9th February 2010, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Are you going to keep the mondeo lower wishbones, it would probably help.

Are you going to be able to get the engine under the nose?

It may be an idea to mock up the front end in timber so you can see how it will fit together..

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th February 2010, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

at the end of the day you can do what you like. as i have said i would like to see the progress and results.

i think you need to remember that this forum is primarily for people building a haynes roadster from the book. personally i don't think what your doing will resemble a haynes roadster. Although i firmly believe everyone is welcome to share what ever they are building and we all would love to see it. you just have to remember most people on here will be biased towards the book chassis design/setup/look.

what people are suggesting are ways to keep it looking like a book car. its becoming obvious that you are not so worried about keeping to book spec looks.
Old 9th February 2010, 01:35 AM

that was the plan as my dad is a carpenter I was going to get him in and help with the nose.

No am going to replace the lower arms will a modified design on the haynes ones, they will be approx the same size as the standard mondeo ones but the mounts are better on the haynes and look more in keeping with the Kit Car design. The main problem I can't work out on paper is that the front suspension will in the stand position foul the drive shafts
Old 9th February 2010, 01:39 AM

may have to lean the arm slightly to the front or back depending on space. One thing I did test is lock to lock on the drive shafts they don't move forward or back. so only have to judge the up and down angle
Old 9th February 2010, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

if you look at the mk indy R front suspension that will help. make sure its the r spec one that you look at and not the normal one

have a look here there are some really good picts of the suspension lay out on the indy r

http://mkindyrbuild.blogspot.com/
Old 9th February 2010, 01:48 AM

I want to to have the basis of looking like a haynes kit Car but I want to personalize it and make it mine. Not so much of a paint buy number's if you know what I mean. The basic shape is going to still be there and its just wider, like its going to be sat on 17" alloys, I am sure I ain't seen many like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
at the end of the day you can do what you like. as i have said i would like to see the progress and results.

i think you need to remember that this forum is primarily for people building a haynes roadster from the book. personally i don't think what your doing will resemble a haynes roadster. Although i firmly believe everyone is welcome to share what ever they are building and we all would love to see it. you just have to remember most people on here will be biased towards the book chassis design/setup/look.

what people are suggesting are ways to keep it looking like a book car. its becoming obvious that you are not so worried about keeping to book spec looks.
Old 9th February 2010, 01:51 AM

end of the day. The car is mean't be fun and a challenge and this is going to be both. Loving it already. Dirty from head to toe lol
Old 9th February 2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by correl View Post
end of the day. The car is mean't be fun and a challenge and this is going to be both. Loving it already. Dirty from head to toe lol
HI
There was a post on here in 2008 with a wide chassis to take all of the BMW 5 series and all its running gear. If I remember right it was Chris Gibbs brother in-law. It was in keeping with the roadster but was a big boy. There may be some information on the geometries for a wide body car.
Old 9th February 2010, 09:10 AM

well the body pannel's being put on is a long way off yet. So designing the nose cone and other body parts are going to be months and months away. At least my cars giving people things to talk about. LoL