Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th June 2013, 03:59 PM

Default Fuel Tank IVA wording....

14. Fuel tank filling points must not be located in the passenger compartment, luggage compartment or within an engine compartment.

It doesn't say it has to be fitted on the outside of the vehicle so why does everyone fit the fuel filler outside the vehicle?

I don't intend to build in any sort of luggage compartment at the rear, there is no engine in there and I won't be fitting a seat in the back so why can't I just have the fuel filler on top of the tank?

I do intend to fit a vinyl cover on the back, does that make it a luggage compartment?

Just curious because I could save myself some money here and some hassle!
Old 28th June 2013, 04:38 PM

Chris ....my fuel filler is staying in the tank bay ....just do not fit anything on top for IVA ...obviously some kind of cap has to be fitted.
Old 28th June 2013, 05:25 PM

It's fine to have a filler attatched directly to the tank, also a cover at the top of the tub, just don't box it out or fit a floor (diffuser) so it can't be used as storage.

Obviously the cap must comply with current iva regs, being teathered or having a non removable key
Old 28th June 2013, 05:27 PM

Sounds good, thanks guys!
Old 28th June 2013, 05:32 PM

The only issue is if it's sealed in, as a leak in the tank or in the cap could cause vapour to collect.
Old 28th June 2013, 08:51 PM

While were in the subject, how about

Quote:
16. The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap
I have a nice filler funnel with a screw in lockable cap. They are tethered together with a chain but the key can be removed in both locked and unlocked positions.

I think its fine but am I being paranoid thinking I should re-work the lock to make the key only removable in locked position to be on the safe side?

Cheers
Stot
Old 28th June 2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
While were in the subject, how about

I have a nice filler funnel with a screw in lockable cap. They are tethered together with a chain but the key can be removed in both locked and unlocked positions.

I think its fine but am I being paranoid thinking I should re-work the lock to make the key only removable in locked position to be on the safe side?

Cheers
Stot
Hmm...the tester's opinion might be that if it's there, then it has to function as per the IVA. In other words, if it is lockable, then it would have to have a non removable key when open, regardless of if it's tethered or not.

As I read it, I think it being tethered would be fine, but I can see how it could be intepreted differently.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:32 PM

its simple

if you can lock or not you must tether the cap UNLESS your fuel cap will not let you remove the key unless you re-lock it

its simply there to stop you driving off from a petrol stn with no cap and have nothing to refit

i have no lock at all just a bit of bath plug chain iva passed

Last edited by baz-r : 2nd July 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
its simple

if you can lock or not you must tether the cap UNLESS your fuel cap will not let you remove the key unless you re-lock it

its simply there to stop you driving off from a petrol stn with no cap and have nothing to refit

i have no lock at all jus a bit of bathplug chain iva passed
I did figure out a way of making the key stay in unless locked but thats great coz its a bugger to unscrew with a bunch of keys hanging off of it!

Cheers
Stot