Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2011, 08:02 PM

Default gear shift.

Hi guys,

Iv set up a gearshift system with two microswitches linked to each paddle shift which will operate the solinoid which will inturn pull and push the gear shift lever. The problem i have now is that i need to make up a control system that will push the solinoid to full travel from on switch and return to centre to shift down, and pull it with the other, returning to centre position to shift up. This doesnt seem too complicated but i also need it to be able to get the solinoid to pull halfway between first and second to find neutral. This would probably be better done from a seperate switch to keep things simple, ie put it in first and press another switch to flick it into neutral, would probably prevent disaster aswell.

Is anyone familiar with electronics who would help me work it all out, im pretty familar with soldering and making circuit boards from way back in school, but i have no idea what conponents i need or how to make it all work.

Please dont ask why i didnt opt for a cable operated system as i dont know myself!

Thanks

Nathan
Old 18th July 2011, 08:26 PM

Can you rig up something that works mechanically as a fail safe, with the best will in the world something will break on your car at some point and you can guarantee in your case that it would be something to do with your gearchange! and you would probably be as far from home as you can possibly get

If you could have it electrical and mechanical you can physically put it into neutral and then use your solenoid for up down which may make it a little easier for you
Old 19th July 2011, 06:49 AM

I went for a demo drive in a F27 a few years ago that had this sysytem fitted.

http://www.flatshifter.com/index.html
Old 19th July 2011, 12:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Can you rig up something that works mechanically as a fail safe, with the best will in the world something will break on your car at some point and you can guarantee in your case that it would be something to do with your gearchange! and you would probably be as far from home as you can possibly get

If you could have it electrical and mechanical you can physically put it into neutral and then use your solenoid for up down which may make it a little easier for you
Cant agree more. Or join the RAC

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 19th July 2011, 10:20 PM

Join the rac I like that lol