Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th June 2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Al relatively easy to sort out John, so yes it is a "good" fail ...were you able to chase up a retest from them there and then?
No, I didn't bother sorting it out there and then, I'll give them a ring once I've sorted out my plan of action. They recon they should be able to fit me in withing a week or so of calling up with it being a fairly quick re-test.

I was always worried about the brakes as it's one of the few things I couldn't check myself.
At least I'm allowed to drive it to a garage for remedial work now, so I might book it in at the place accross the road from work so they can test it once I've had a fiddle with them.
Old 25th June 2013, 06:55 PM

A shame it was a fail but sounds like you had a good day out! Did it fail on front to rear balance? Or left to right rear balance? Did you get much bump steer? Regarding being scared driving it. I always say to people when they ask why about my build, " I want a car that will scares me! " looks like I'm going to get my wish!
Old 25th June 2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
A shame it was a fail but sounds like you had a good day out! Did it fail on front to rear balance? Or left to right rear balance? Did you get much bump steer? Regarding being scared driving it. I always say to people when they ask why about my build, " I want a car that will scares me! " looks like I'm going to get my wish!
It's certainly scary enough for me in my old age!
I'm sure it won't take long to get used to it, but there's always the option of fitting a turbo if I really want to poop my pants

On the handbrake it failed on the difference between left and right sides.

On the brake pedal it didn't exactly fail on front to rear bias.
Mine are heavily based to the front, but what it failed on was combined efficiency. It needs to be 60% (whatever that means ) and I got 57%.
He said the rears looked particularly poor (they currently give about half the braking force of the fronts). I suspect I would have passed if I didn't have quite so much bias.
I'm currently hoping just bleeding the brakes again and bedding the new discs/pads in will get me that extra 3%.

I'm a bit reluctant to take the bias valve out in case it ends up going too far the other way.
Old 25th June 2013, 08:16 PM

Are you using the mx5 brake bias valve? Did you get much bump steer? How much is the retest! Dont remove the bias valve to much rear will have the back locking up and overtaking you if ever needed to actually stop! Not much fun doing 360s under braking!
Old 25th June 2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Are you using the mx5 brake bias valve? Did you get much bump steer? How much is the retest! Dont remove the bias valve to much rear will have the back locking up and overtaking you if ever needed to actually stop! Not much fun doing 360s under braking!
No, I junked the MX5 one as I was too lazy to figure out how/where to mount it and connect up all the different pipes on it
I stuck a Mondeo bias valve inline with the rear brake line instead:

Old 25th June 2013, 11:42 PM

Well I don't know much about brake lines and master cylinders but when I read that, I had the mx5 master cylinder in front of me off my build and it has a weird setup where one line comes out the bottom and goes to the front right I think. Then two pipes exit the side, one near the rear and one near the front both going to the bias valve. Front one goes off to the front left and the rear one goes off to the back to the right rear brake line and then off to the left rear. I don't understand why it's like that or how you have done yours but I hope something in the above helps you find a solution.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 26th June 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:49 PM

This any use to you?

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/stock_bpv.php
Old 26th June 2013, 11:16 AM

I'm going to fit one of these to my rear line, pretty good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330946373690

Cheers
Stot
Old 26th June 2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
I'm going to fit one of these to my rear line, pretty good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330946373690

Cheers
Stot
Adjustable bias valves aren't allowed under IVA regs as far as I'm aware.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Adjustable bias valves aren't allowed under IVA regs as far as I'm aware.
This is a good point. RTFM.

Cheers
Stot