Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th November 2008, 02:08 PM

Default Possible to use engine from a FWD donor and possible to use automatic box?

Hi, can anybody help me please? I am wondering if anybody can tell me if its possible to use and modify an engine from a FWD car? Also im regestered disabled and so is it possible to use an automatic gearbox instead of a manaul? Any help on these matters would be most apprieated Please feel free to email me at robbosmith99@hotmail.com if you can help. Many thanks!
Old 29th November 2008, 03:03 PM
Chris Gibbs

Hi Robbo,

Several FWD engines have been used in this type of car, Rover k series, Ford Zetec and duratech, Toyota 4AGE etc.

The problem is that these are usually mated to manual gearboxes, either the Ford type 9 or celica boxes.

Autoboxes tend to be big lumps but you might be able to fit one if you use the MT75 modifications detailed in the chassis section.

Incidently, have you considered an automatic Sierra?

Cheers

Chris
Old 29th November 2008, 06:43 PM

I think a better option would be to go the BEC (bike engined car) route, a simple hand clutch could be incorperated into the gearlever to get you off the line, once on the move you don't really use the clutch, and then any other hand controls could be fitted behind the wheel if required, if not have paddle shift

Regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 29th November 2008, 07:43 PM
Chris Gibbs

Good shout John!

Probably easier in the long run

Cheers

Chris
Old 29th November 2008, 11:40 PM

hey guys don,t forget..................
automatic capri,s , auto cortina,s transit,s auto granny,s the bell housing ,s aint no wider than the crankcase than the engine they are bolted too
dont forget any other smallish block rwd how about the 1.8 tc leylands etc
there must be loads of other front engine autos still about waiting to be donors
les g
Old 30th November 2008, 10:17 PM
fabbyglass

The Locost drag racer chassis i built 6 years ago used a 3 speed auto box mated to a v8 with only minor work needed to trans tunnel to make it fit...the Roadster is wider so more room to play with..

Mark
Old 30th November 2008, 11:17 PM

a whole pile of BMW autos to choose from
les g
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:07 AM

Lightbulb many thanx for your input! :)

Thanks a lot for all your advice and input. The reason i asked is that i have a peugeot 205 automatic sitting on my driveway at the mo not doing much, the gearbox is a ZF which i have heard are good, the engine is a 1.6 8v, im not sure if its possible or ever been done before to use these componants? If not, i might go down the bike-engine route as was recommended.
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:15 PM

Is the engine the 1.6xu ? The problem with most Peugeot engines is that they are usually mounted at an angle. That can cause space problems when you try and fit it longitudinally. You would have to mount it so that the crank is sat in the centre of the engine bay which would cause problems at the top as the head would be to far over. Also I'm not sure what gearbox you would use as Peugeot don't really do any rear wheel drive cars.

If its the TU series engine there won't be the same problem as they are mounted upright but you will still have the same issues with the gearbox.
Old 10th December 2008, 11:54 AM

I don't think a 1.6 peugeot motor would be able to give the rest of vehicle the justice it deserves.