Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th January 2012, 09:53 AM

If you don't want to phaff around making this and that for bike carbs.
I'd speak to Bogg Brothers, I think they will supply you with a manifold and carbs with an initial tune for you engine. Hopefully you can keep you ignition from the pinto (i.e dizzy and coil).

For bike carbs you need

1. A set of carbs preferably with a throttle position sensor if you go down megajolt instead of your dizzy. Zx6r Zx9r are popular
2. A manifold with silicon tube and hose clamps to hold the carbs on
3. Rejet and tune up to suite your car
4. Ignition either your old dizzy of bin that for a megajolt ecu you will need a megajolt ecu, Ford EDIS module, Ford coil pack, HT leads, a sensor and trigger wheel if not already on your engine a throttle position sensor on the carbs (or manifold pressure, mega jolt can be specced for either)

Not sure how much this would cost from Bogg but I'd guess around £250-300 for the carbs and manifold then £150 for megajolt £40 for EDIS and coil pack

If I could get a set of webbers on the car for that price I would do but they are more complex and I think go out of tune easier (but I may have that the wrong way round) one type does!

Last edited by MikeB : 6th January 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11th January 2012, 06:20 PM

Laymans guide for dcoe webers.

http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?HowDoI...erCarburettors

http://www.dvapower.com/

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 11th January 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11th January 2012, 07:32 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Have decided to go with twin 40 webers, for easiness of instillation. Will have another look at bike carbs once the car is on the road.
Thanks Robo, those links were very helpful.

Terry
Old 11th January 2012, 08:05 PM

I found a guy on ebay for my webers, I had 45's for my 1.8 pinto for £556 brand new, cracking service they were in my house within 3 day, later on I think I will be getting a low profile manifold from either Burton power or Europa spares they are only 29mm thick so that should keep them under the bonnet and not protruding through the side

Arfon
Old 14th January 2012, 05:46 PM

I keep reading a lot of stuff on the forum about choice between webers or bike carbs which all has me confused. Do you know why people are lean to layout money for carbs when this often seems to require rejetting, sortink linkages and buying a dedicated manifold. How is it thought to be a better set up than just transplanting the fuel injection setup from the donor ? Before looking at the forum i'd just assumed this was the way to go partly because it's free and less bother but mostly because even in standard form it gives a combination between power and fuel economy, can be remapped when time allows and if it goes wrong it's all just standard injectors, air flow meter off the shelf. ?
Old 14th January 2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

It's the fact that most plenums stick out the bonnet. Side draught carbs fit better space wise.

Also a lot of engine solutions are using engines where the stock management is entangled with the security system to such an extent that the car won't run without a lot of work.

Ideal world is a set of throttle bodies on 3rd party management.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders