Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th June 2016, 12:29 PM

ok so I got a replacement instrument cluster and that sorted that part out , so turned the key and just a click, so stuck the battery on charge and got washed and had tea, put the battery in and tried again .. click and a very hot battery + wire , so replaced the starter (luckily I had one) so ignition lights , no hot cable and starter spinning freely and cranking the motor quite happily but NO starty, so ordered a replacement ecu....... to be continued

now as to the question of why this trouble...... torrential rain shorted out the starter motor, which caused the power spike that blew the main 100 amp fuse so why the other problems , well I have found a "temporary" wire that I ran from the ignition switch to the solenoid when I had wiring issues before and it is not fused, I know , I know better but I remember at the time thinking great its going I will finish that later.... mmmm
So we can only surmise that when it blew the main fuse it had a flow through said wire hence fried electrics , so a couple of pounds fuse holder would have led to the car being sorted at the roadside and no expense now, there is a lesson there .
So a wee bit crestfallen and waiting for bits , its just a question of how much damage
AND as a real bummer I will miss this weekends run out to applecross
Old 17th June 2016, 06:15 PM

replacement ecu and bits arrived today, dealt with a bloke on the bay and he sorted out next day delivery , top bloke as it doesn't happen to often all the way up here, local saddler had modded my roof (a week to late ) but now I have it.... So a busy weekend ahead lets hope we get her to fire up now
Old 21st June 2016, 06:28 PM

da da daaa, the beast fired up tonight
so To summarise , I have had to replace the main 100 amp fuse !!, the starter and solenoid, the instrument cluster, ecu and the battery an expensive breakdown
so I am going to tidy up a bit of behind the dash wiring this weekend and get her all back together.
I really was pulling my hair out with this one as the battery was reading 13V at the battery and at the ignition switch until my dad asked "you have checked it under load " so back out and fastened the meter where I could see it and tried cranking.... straight down to 3 V and then fell to 0.8V release the key and back to 13V, so a quick trip to get a battery and whoopee she fired straight up.
there's more to this invisible elektrickery than meets the eye..... anyway moving forwards at last
Bring on the next adventure.........
Old 21st June 2016, 06:41 PM

oh and a wee bit late but got my westy FW hood back from the saddler so popped it on , just needs tensioning a wee bit, not to everyones taste I'm sure but it will allow us to still have our luggage ont back when we go touring and help keep SWMBO a little drier if it is inclement (mind you if its as bad as the last episode I'm parking and waiting for it to stop !!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0286.JPG (74.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0284.JPG (43.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0154.JPG (88.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 21st June 2016, 07:25 PM

Glad you got it sorted at last re the hood it doesn't matter if it looks like a teepee if it does the job of keeping you dry

Last edited by vmax1974 : 21st June 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 21st June 2016, 09:26 PM

Thanks, now if only you had suggested a teepee sooner..........
lol
Old 22nd June 2016, 03:52 PM

Lol teepee on a roadster is now my intellectual property will cost you 5p to use it cause that will make me rich lol
Old 25th June 2016, 07:11 PM

well postie has let me down no bits today bet they come on Monday....
So with everything kind of secured back where it should go at least temporarily , I couldn't resist a quick "test run", oops it was a wee bit sketchy under acceleration , all the thunderstorms we have been having and the roads were damp, at least the tail wagging put a smile on my face, You just cant imagine how much I have missed driving her !
so a busy couple of weeks ahead tidying and titivating as we are going to Grampian speed fest in august and planning a wee sortie south of the border to rendezvous with mates fae Yorkshire at Keider water , so a long weekend away (13/14/15 august) hooray.
I can report to that the hood flapped a wee bit (will put some more tension on it) but did cut down on some buffeting , so swmbo will be chuffed but flying solo it WILL be off
I was going to pop into elgin but the roads were flooded and muck of the fields so may pop in in the tintop in the morning, that way I can get started with tidying the electrics behind the dash.....
so much to do so little time and as soon as the spanners hit her I bet the sun will appear
Old 26th June 2016, 12:27 PM

I'm heading south to meet up with friends having a day up north to kielder water , weekend of 13/14/15 august, so that's me booked into the BAY HORSE INN , WEST WOODBURN for the saturday and sunday night so will study the route and meet up somewhere

any one want to join me ????? even to meet up for a cuppa and chat Saturday night ( although I will need food by then as well ) any of you ne7ers fancy a meet up?

travelling south on the Saturday (aiming to be at inn late afternoon), route variable, sunday meet up with Buttercup and friends, ( I put buttercup cos she has plenty of friends and Geoffrey .... well.... ) the rest of sunday explore a bit around hadrians wall, Monday (mid morning depart) ramble back northwards , home

will stick it in a separate thread too

Gary
Old 7th August 2016, 10:16 AM

so after our wee jaunt down to the Silverstone classic we returned home bearing the new wings
so here we are fettled wrapped and fitted, very pleased with the result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.JPG (62.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0468.JPG (56.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.JPG (51.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0469.JPG (42.2 KB, 19 views)