Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st May 2014, 03:57 PM

Default Which MX5 donor?

So I'm still at the thinking stage of what donor to use for a build and am begining to sway towards an MX5 build. My hope would be to use an MX5 for the initial build and IVA then move onto a zetec/duratec engine.

So as a start.
What MX5 can I use to base my build on mk1, mk2 or mk3? (I'm thinkng mk1 or early mk2)

Is the running gear (uprights, shafts, etc) the same on the mk1, mk2 or mk3?

If I get a diff case from the likes of Phil at Talon can I use the sierra based build rear end?

How easy is it going to be to swap over to a zetec/duratec after it gets IVAd. Will zetec/duratec and gearbox mate to a mx5 diff etc?

I'm going round in circles and struggling to make any decisions I've done loads of reading on here and over at locost builders but my head is minced with all the variables at the moment. Think I need to decide on a route and just go for it.

Cheers folks
Old 1st May 2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzter View Post
So I'm still at the thinking stage of what donor to use for a build and am begining to sway towards an MX5 build. My hope would be to use an MX5 for the initial build and IVA then move onto a zetec/duratec engine.

So as a start.
What MX5 can I use to base my build on mk1, mk2 or mk3? (I'm thinkng mk1 or early mk2)

If I get a diff case from the likes of Phil at Talon can I use the sierra based build rear end?

How easy is it going to be to swap over to a zetec/duratec after it gets IVAd. Will zetec/duratec and gearbox mate to a mx5 diff etc?

I'm going round in circles and struggling to make any decisions I've done loads of reading on here and over at locost builders but my head is minced with all the variables at the moment. Think I need to decide on a route and just go for it.

Cheers folks
If you are going to swap to a zetec/duratec in the future you should just go down the siera route from the start.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 1st May 2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
If you are going to swap to a zetec/duratec in the future you should just go down the siera route from the start.
Why so? Are there some incompatabilities? These are the things I'm trying to get sorted in my head before I commit.
Old 1st May 2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzter
You can use any of them, although I'd venture a guess that mark 3 stuff will still be fairly expensive.

Quote:
In short no. Very little, if anything is compatible between mark 1/2/2.5 and the mark 3. Between marks 1, 2 and 2.5, all the big bits are interchangable, although there may be subtle differences in the detail (e.g. the steering arms on a mark 2 front upright are 7mm higher than the mark 1).

Quote:
That was one of Phil's justifications for developing it.

Quote:
The big bits you'll need are the engine, gearbox, engine mounts and a custom prop to swap over. You'll also need to sort the associated systems out. But to me it seems to be a waste of time and money to fit the MX5 engine and box to rip it out straight after to replace with Ford stuff, you may as well fit the Ford engine and box from the off IMO.

Quote:
Why so? Are there some incompatabilities? These are the things I'm trying to get sorted in my head before I commit.
Except for the gearbox, I can't see what else could qualify David's post. Don't forget, lots of bike engined kit cars use all the mechanical bits of a normal donor except for the engine and gearbox and some associated systems (like the engine loom, reverse gear mechanism etc.).

There's nothing stopping you having a complete set of MX5 running gear with a Zetec and a Type 9 box for example. Heck, there's nothing wrong with you using the uprights and brakes from one marque, with a diff from another, engine and box from a third etc etc.
Old 1st May 2014, 08:02 PM

We all have different views and ideas it's a bespoke hand built sports car my opinion is mx5 is readily available I went for mx5 and made my own version of Phil's rear diff cover if you look at my pics but use the Sierra rear end frame so you could swap to a Sierra diff at a later date.

Why do you want to go duratec though?
A nice jap engine are pretty much indestructible if it's power you want strap a mini supercharger to it or do a turbo conversion later! (That's my route)

Whatever you decide there is lots of info between the guys on this forum that can help in your build!!

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 1st May 2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
You can use any of them, although I'd venture a guess that mark 3 stuff will still be fairly expensive.

In short no. Very little, if anything is compatible between mark 1/2/2.5 and the mark 3. Between marks 1, 2 and 2.5, all the big bits are interchangable, although there may be subtle differences in the detail (e.g. the steering arms on a mark 2 front upright are 7mm higher than the mark 1).

That was one of Phil's justifications for developing it.

The big bits you'll need are the engine, gearbox, engine mounts and a custom prop to swap over. You'll also need to sort the associated systems out. But to me it seems to be a waste of time and money to fit the MX5 engine and box to rip it out straight after to replace with Ford stuff, you may as well fit the Ford engine and box from the off IMO.

Except for the gearbox, I can't see what else could qualify David's post. Don't forget, lots of bike engined kit cars use all the mechanical bits of a normal donor except for the engine and gearbox and some associated systems (like the engine loom, reverse gear mechanism etc.).

There's nothing stopping you having a complete set of MX5 running gear with a Zetec and a Type 9 box for example. Heck, there's nothing wrong with you using the uprights and brakes from one marque, with a diff from another, engine and box from a third etc etc.
Thanks for taking the time to answer what may seem stupid questions to you experienced guys, this is really the kind of info I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
We all have different views and ideas it's a bespoke hand built sports car my opinion is mx5 is readily available I went for mx5 and made my own version of Phil's rear diff cover if you look at my pics but use the Sierra rear end frame so you could swap to a Sierra diff at a later date.

Why do you want to go duratec though?
A nice jap engine are pretty much indestructible if it's power you want strap a mini supercharger to it or do a turbo conversion later! (That's my route)

Whatever you decide there is lots of info between the guys on this forum that can help in your build!!
Thats my thoughts on using a mx5 rather than a sierra. Was the diff cover difficult to make? Not really decided 100% on the ultimate end game yet, I think I like the simplicity of a non charged engine and my goal will be 150-200 bhp. I've got a supercharged Golf R32 and as much as I love the supercharger I think I'd rather have something just solid and reliable in an engine. More food for thought though, thanks.
Old 1st May 2014, 08:29 PM

Thats my thoughts on using a mx5 rather than a sierra. Was the diff cover difficult to make? Not really decided 100% on the ultimate end game yet, I think I like the simplicity of a non charged engine and my goal will be 150-200 bhp. I've got a supercharged Golf R32 and as much as I love the supercharger I think I'd rather have something just solid and reliable in an engine. More food for thought though, thanks.[/quote]

It's not difficult if your blessed like me to have a lathe at my disposal!! It's just so handy to look at something then have a brain wave on how to make it.

1.8 Mazda mx5 larger injectors multisquirt ecu or equivalent port polished head induction kit will be pushing into the 150 area bearing in mind these cars weigh 600kg roughly so bhp per tonne about 250

it's a waste if you can't get the power down!!

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 1st May 2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
Thats my thoughts on using a mx5 rather than a sierra. Was the diff cover difficult to make? Not really decided 100% on the ultimate end game yet, I think I like the simplicity of a non charged engine and my goal will be 150-200 bhp. I've got a supercharged Golf R32 and as much as I love the supercharger I think I'd rather have something just solid and reliable in an engine. More food for thought though, thanks.

It's not difficult if your blessed like me to have a lathe at my disposal!! It's just so handy to look at something then have a brain wave on how to make it.

1.8 Mazda mx5 larger injectors multisquirt ecu or equivalent port polished head induction kit will be pushing into the 150 area bearing in mind these cars weigh 600kg roughly so bhp per tonne about 250

it's a waste if you can't get the power down!![/quote]

I was spoiled and had a Caterham CSR200 for 4 days drive around the highlands of Scotland and would really love to try to emulate that power. I'm also contemplating joining the local sprint club for a bit of fun. But it's all pie in the sky until I actually make a start. I've managed to swing a work trip south next week so going to tie it in with a trip to Stoneleigh for my fist visit to a kit car show. Think I might have to leave my wallet behind though or I'll do something stupid.
Old 1st May 2014, 08:43 PM

I chose the sierra route with the thinking of using a nice easy 1600 pinto engine then swapping it out later post iva for something with serious grunt.....I chose the serious grunt first because in hindsight I am glad I chose my prefered engine over the pinto as it would have been soul destroying to do the upgrade after iva ....my advice would be to go for the engine you want in the car with the thoughts of future tunability so the later ford twin cams are a good choice as they will give a proportionate power increase to what you spend on them.My choice of engine gave me this massive tunability but it was a hard install. If I had gone the other way I would more than likely got sick of it, just my tuppence worth
Old 1st May 2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
I chose the sierra route with the thinking of using a nice easy 1600 pinto engine then swapping it out later post iva for something with serious grunt.....I chose the serious grunt first because in hindsight I am glad I chose my prefered engine over the pinto as it would have been soul destroying to do the upgrade after iva ....my advice would be to go for the engine you want in the car with the thoughts of future tunability so the later ford twin cams are a good choice as they will give a proportionate power increase to what you spend on them.My choice of engine gave me this massive tunability but it was a hard install. If I had gone the other way I would more than likely got sick of it, just my tuppence worth
Off to read your build thread now