Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2014, 03:49 PM

Default plates mx5

can somebody have sizes for all plates needed to roadster based on mx5 thanks rob
Old 26th February 2014, 11:16 PM

what version are you building? there is 2 versions vodou or saturn
Old 26th February 2014, 11:40 PM

Saturn model
Thanks rob
Old 26th February 2014, 11:55 PM

They're spread over the book and the SSC build guide. Can't remember if the guide contained the plans for the plates common with the Sierra build.

You'll need both the guide and book for the build for reference.
Old 27th February 2014, 07:39 AM

Send me your email address & I will forward the saturn sports car plans.
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
There is 2 versions vodou or saturn
I am new to this and looking to build an MX5 Roadster.

What are the differences between the vodou or saturn?

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2014, 12:07 PM

Hi,
Both companies kind of disappeared. But build plans are still travelling on the Internet.

I can't answer your question, and I think you should try to get hold of both build plans and make your own opinion. To me, it looks however that Saturn design is much more popular than the Vodou one, but people who built MX5 based Roadster will be able to give you a better answer than me (Sierra based Roadster).

But, there is a thread on LCB about that. There is lot of blah-blah, but also very good and useful information I think, it can be a good start:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...php?tid=164784

hope this can help
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:15 PM

Many thanks, I will read the LCB thread.
Old 3rd March 2014, 05:58 PM

They are both good designs, make sure you read up everything you can on them and take advice from people who have built both.

At one time it was quite polarised with HandyAndy backing the Saturn plans and producing flat packed chassis for it whilst Phil at Talon was doing the same for the Vodou design.
These days HandyAndy is no longer making chassis and Talon seems equally happy to work with the Saturn plans now as the Vodou and has come up with some mods which will work with both such as a special diff enclosure allowing the MX5 diff to be mounted in a similar way to the Sierra diff.
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:10 PM

As far as I know...

Vodou was set up by a Haynes builder (Matt, was his username Airhead?) who adapted the Sierra spec chassis to take the MX5 running gear. The rear diff area was quite different from the original Sierra design. He set up Vodou, Mark Bean was involved with the bodywork, Phil (Talon) was licensed (I believe) to supply chassis.

Matt published his chassis plans, but apart from a few chassis being made, it all went very, very quiet and has remained so.

HandyAndy used to be part of Saturn with Andy Hugill (Spud), then sort of left. However, he still did the flat packs for Saturn. When I bought my Saturn MX5 flat pack, I picked it up from HandyAndy's house (I seem to remember taking some other bits over to him from Spud at the same time ).

Anyway, Saturn, adapted the Sierra chassis for the MX5 gear. The front section of the chassis is as per the Sierra spec, the wishbones were altered to take the MX5 upright. The rear section was kept as close to the Sierra spec as possible but to accomodate the winged MX5 diff casing. This caused a redesign of the rear wishbones. The plans (or the modifications required to the Sierra spec chassis) are freely available.

The Saturn stuff ended up at Gillham Online. I noticed in this month's Complete Kit Car that Dan is planning to market more stuff over the coming months for the Roadster, I assume this will incorporate both Sierra and MX5 based parts.

Phil (Talon) has recently announced that he is doing his own MX5 version, the TMXR, which is probably the closest to the Sierra spec chassis. You will need a different rear diff over, which Phil produces. The MX5 upright wishbones, I believe, will fit on a completely Sierra spec chassis. I'm sure Phil will correct me if I'm wrong.

HTH