Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th December 2008, 04:53 PM

Question Should i worry about the iva???

Hi everyone, the plan is to start building in the new year so by the time i get finished the new iva will most likely be in place, from what i have heard you are not going to be able to have any hot bits of the exhaust system exposed, is there ways round this ie hiding the exhaust or someway of nicely covering it, oh most likely be a blade engine if that makes a difference.

Merry Christmas everybody

Cheers Dean
Old 24th December 2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

my opinion is that the iva should be fine as long as you build the car to iva standard. as for the hot exhaust all you will need to do is make a manifold that comes out as low as possible on the body then put a carbon exhaust sheild over the hot bits. problem solved.

it wont be any different to the sva. people will jump through the hoops to pass then change the car to how they want it after the test.
Old 11th February 2009, 04:01 PM

Default Exhaust Again

HI
Does it matter if the exhaust came out in line with the bonnet like the car in the book.

Axle
Old 11th February 2009, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

i believe the hot exhaust section in iva has had an exception added to it for side exit exhausts to be contactable below knee hight. you still have to comply with radius and a good builder will allways try to cover the exhaust the best they can anyway.

at the end of the day were all in the dark until they release the final draft of the test.
Old 11th February 2009, 05:28 PM

Red face Again

Hi Ash
Thanks for your reply. Does this mean the car in the book would fail the IVA, and sorry what radius are you talking about?

Cheers Axle
Old 12th February 2009, 10:51 AM

There's not much difference between SVA and IVA apart from the eye watering price increase

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 12th February 2009, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
Hi Ash
Thanks for your reply. Does this mean the car in the book would fail the IVA, and sorry what radius are you talking about?

Cheers Axle

It should pass but there is never a guarantee. All you can do is build the car to your best interpretation of the rules and take it for the test. If it fails you will get a list of things that need fixing, you then go home fix them and take it back for a retest.

When I said radius I mean there can’t be no sharp edges on the exhaust e.g. turn the exhaust clamps inwards etc.
Old 12th February 2009, 05:34 PM

Default Exhaust Again

Hi Ash
I have just look at the IVA manual on the Forum there is no mention of the height and what my concerns are. The trouble is trying to redo the manifold will cost the earth, I really like the idea of the exhaust like the car in the book. As that type of design gets ride of the hot air from the engine bay!
Would any body else like to give us all some re-asurrance, how about you Chris?

regards Axle
Old 12th February 2009, 06:27 PM
Chris Gibbs

Speaking to some of the kit car manufacturers, there doesn't seem to be a problem, the general feeling is that someone didn't think this particular regulation through. If the exhaust had to be covered for the IVA then so would every motorbike imported or made in this country, the main reason for the change to IVA is European harmonisation (by 2015) of ALL type approval. This regulation would treat one vehicle (the kit car) differently to another (the motor cycle). This is divergence not harmonisation.

One manufacturer has interpreted from the regulations that exhausts within the wheel plan are exempt. This would include the Roadster as the exhaust is inside the outside edge of the wheels.

I'm not sure about that one, to be honest.

One possible solution if the exhaust has to be covered might be thermal wrap on the pipes and a perforated shield over the silencer.

It's the usual VOSA fudge and we won't really know until the final draft comes out.

Cheers

Chris

PS I heard a little whisper today that the introduction of the IVA might be delayed, certainly the fact that the manual, or even the final draft hasn't appeared with less than two months to go is an indicator of that - you can't expect people to build to, and be tested on, a standard that is unknown.

Last edited by Chris Gibbs : 12th February 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 13th February 2009, 11:20 PM

Thumbs up Big Thanks

Thanks for clearing this up Chris