Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th May 2008, 09:23 PM

Question What reg plate for a Bike engined car?

Hi all,
I'm looking to build a kit car in the not too distant future. Looking at an MK Indy with hopefully a fireblade engine. My question is what number plate will it bear? I thought to be age related you needed to use the engine from the donor vehicle along with other specified parts. However I've just seen an MK with a bike engine on Ebay and it has an 'F' plate. Confused, help!!
Old 28th May 2008, 01:56 PM
Chris Gibbs

Certain things aren't mean't to be understood.

The DVLA is one of them.

What you said is the official position, that a substatial majority of the donor car must be used to get an "age related" plate, that is a plate from the same year as the donor car but NOT the donor's own registration. The prototype Roadster has an age related plate.

My brother-in-law's car is 100% one donor car, yet he was issued with a Q plate.

Some people manage to get an age related plate despite using different engines/ axles or whatever.

The problem is that the decision is down to the local DVLA office that deals with your registration, which means no consistency.

The other possibility with the car on ebay is that someone has gone through the SVA test and registration with the donor engine and then swaped to a bike engine, this is quite common.

Cheers

Chris
Old 18th July 2008, 07:49 PM

just wondering:

as far as I know, a q-plate signifies a "vehicles of indeterminite age" and/or a vehicle that was once declared a write-off? Does this have any bearing on things like insurance premiums or road tax? If the only difference is between having a Q on the plate or an age related letter with no other repurcussions etc, I personally wouldn't be bothered what plate I get as long as they decide it's good enough....

(p.s. buying my welder in 2 weeks when I get back from switzerland )
Old 19th July 2008, 10:20 PM
Chris Gibbs

Theres no difference in insurance or road tax with a Q plate, I don't think it makes much difference other than you can't change a Q plate for a personal plate.

The car drives much the same

Cheers

Chris
Old 17th November 2008, 10:39 PM

as above, it makes no difference in that respect. its easier to pass an MOT emmissions test, so im told with a Q plate though..

Q plates are also non transferable.
Old 19th November 2008, 10:52 AM
fabbyglass

I would opt for Q as mot reverts to some daft 1975 ruling besides why try to fool folk with age related plates when everyone knows it's a kit car unless you build totally from new parts and pay to have new plate.

A cobra or any other 1960's style car with a new plate looks daft, at least a Q could suggest it's a re registered old car ...
Old 19th November 2008, 12:56 PM

So, without hijacking this thread, if I were to build my roadster from a single Sierra donor but put a Zetec engine in it, would that mean that I'd most likely end up on a Q or an age plate?
Old 19th November 2008, 05:14 PM
fabbyglass

Jeff,
It's down to the dvla as some folk seem to get away with things where others don't. But would say expect a Q which is better in the long run.

Mark
Old 20th November 2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

im going to sva on pinto to get the age related plate then change to zetec or duratec(if i can get a new one for a good price)

i have a plate on rentition that i would quite like to use on it
Old 20th November 2008, 09:06 PM

Hi Ash
Was looking into changing my car to zetec but it’s a lot of work with the side panels, bonnet, wirering and plumbing. I only did 500 miles on the 1.6 engine but was happy with performance. The new 2.1 with fast road cam drives like a different car. Looking for would to fitting the bike carbs.