Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd October 2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
Baz, +1
I bought this radiator (Mercedes 190) last week (500 SEK= 55 EUR), thanks to you I must say : I actually wrote down this tip you gave already last year on this forum, to remember it when the time to buy the radiator will come . So first, thank you for that.
Mine also have an internal water-oil heat exchanger (2 x M16x1.50 connexions). Does yours have one too? I don't know if it is originally designed for gear box oil or engine oil?
The size is perfect for the Roadster, and thanks to its thickness, it can cope with 2.0's (it did anyway with the Mercedes)!

Attachment 1532

Attachment 1533

Attachment 1534
looks to me like you have a automatic rad my one is a manual one its the same size and shape with no ATF cooling loop. 1 supplier where listing one part no. for both gearboxes? but i found the manual only ones a bit cheaper

just leave them or blank them off

another handy thing about the 190e rad is it can be flipped over to get the outlets on the side you want and its got handy rails on its side to mount fans to (didn't use side rails to mount rad to chassis they are crimped to the core/fins)
mine has the inlet on the top left and outlet on bottom right (sat in car) i used 2 flat plates off the bottom rail with holes in for the pegs and 2 L brackets of top rail and put a push fan on the front
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:53 PM

Good call on the Merc rad, looks far better than the polo option which I fear won't cool enough for my needs.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
Good call on the Merc rad, looks far better than the polo option which I fear won't cool enough for my needs.
The polo rad, even the thicker diesel version, does struggle a bit with more power especially blasting round the track. Will probably upgrade mine for next year.

Andy

Regards..........AndyH
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:19 PM

Sorry to high-jack the thread guys... it was not the main topic

Baz, thank you for the tips for mounting the radiator, it is something like that I was planning for. Do you have any pictures of your mounted radiator please?
Another thing Baz, I would not put a blower fan in front of the radiator when I have enough clearance for installing it behind (in that case a puller).
Front mounted blower fans are far less efficient than back mounted puller fans, as they block a big part of the air flow.
This is the "rule" we try to apply and advice we give to our customers in my work: put a front mounted blower fan only when you don't have enough clearance for mounting a back mounted puller fan.
I think it is too late, as you already have installed your fan , but it might be useful for others
Old 4th October 2012, 09:02 AM

Hmmm...

Will definatly start looking at these merc rads, sounds like a viable/solid option.

I agree with Vought, I prefer a fan in the pulling position, mainly because it looks better from the outside

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 4th October 2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
This is the "rule" we try to apply and advice we give to our customers in my work: put a front mounted blower fan only when you don't have enough clearance for mounting a back mounted puller fan.
I bought one of those common universal radiator fans (14') similar to the picture attached and now the question is whether it is a blower or a puller.... I plan to use it as a puller though.

How would one differentiate between a puller or blower fan if its not stated on the fan or packaging?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Universal-Radiator-Fan.jpg (51.1 KB, 19 views)

Wynand
http://5psi.net
Old 4th October 2012, 09:32 AM

Try to inspect the blade profile. It could be either a bit teardrop shaped or symmetric. Also, why not try to run it forwards and backwards and check the noise and air stream strength?
Old 4th October 2012, 09:47 AM

If the blade is symmetrical, it can be either/or, just inverting the polarity will make it a blower or a puller.
if the blade is snot symmetrical, obviously the black cable is the negative pole, no? (so the blue is the positive). So if you plug it this way to a car battery:
- if the the fan vacuums the air from the curved face and blows it through the flat face, it is a blower,
- it if vacuums the air from the flat face and blows it to through the curved face, it is a puller.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:13 AM

Just from looking at it I'd say that looks like a puller (giggle).
Blades and casing look too fine/vulnerable for it to mounted on the front.
But as others have said, check the profile. If not symetrical/straight, the edge closest to flat will be the leading edge.

(I know too much about fluid dynamics for my own good. And yes, air is a fluid.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 4th October 2012, 10:27 PM

you can mount a fan on either side of the rad its just the lcb offer one i got that was advertised as a push or pull will blow in either way the but blade profile is a push type and the airflow is way better.
"so i just went with the flow"

btw mine looks just like the one in the pic with the same black/blue wire combo but it has a silver D.O.R sticker on it (clockwise iirc)

Last edited by baz-r : 4th October 2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: extra info