Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st April 2010, 08:46 PM

Default Thermostat / Water pump plumbing

Right, lets just be clear about one thing, I'm an idiot. Yes I should have made notes when I stripped it, but I didn't

OK, so my water pump has a large outlet and a smaller one. My thermostat housing has a large outlet and a smaller one. But which one goes to the top / bottom of the radiator? I assume the two smaller ones connect to each other (maybe via the water heater originally?)

Also does anyone have any idea which way around the actual thermostat sits in the housing? It can fit both ways, but I assume only one way is incorrect.

Thanks for your patience
Old 1st April 2010, 09:03 PM

Water pump to the bottom of the rad .... Top of the rad to the thermostat housing.

The thermostat will fit with the hoop away from the engine ( Visible when looking into the hose fitting ). The small air hole in the thermostat goes topmost ( Highest point of the housing )

I hope this makes sense

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 1st April 2010, 09:34 PM

Like wot Ronnie did said..

Heaven, Warm days and Cool rides
Old 9th April 2010, 02:17 PM

I've sketched out an overhead view of how my pump / thermostat housing is on the engine. The pre-thermostat outlet on the housing, I assume should go into the small outlet on the pump?

Now I also assume that the header tank sits on this local loop (red) otherwise any coolant added wouldn't reach the engine cos of the closed thermostat when cold. Any more advice on all this would be appreciated.

Old 9th April 2010, 07:20 PM

Dezee,

thats basically what I've done, if I'm reading it right the red lines would be the take off and return for the original car heater giving you a flow of coolant all the time.

Just stick a T piece in to connect the expansion tank. I take it there are vent lines as well.

Hope thats helpful.

Daz...

http://s641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/tashlotty/
Old 10th April 2010, 08:48 AM

Need to hi-jack this thread here.

I'm unsure where I should connect the small water pipe coming from the front of the CVH head, that's the one on the exhaust side. Is it just a vent? I'm using a FWD thermostat housing on the back of the head so if it's a vent is it required as the thermostat will vent there.

J
Old 10th April 2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Need to hi-jack this thread here.

I'm unsure where I should connect the small water pipe coming from the front of the CVH head, that's the one on the exhaust side. Is it just a vent? I'm using a FWD thermostat housing on the back of the head so if it's a vent is it required as the thermostat will vent there.

J
That small pipe actually pumps coolant out of the head aswell as it going through the engine and through the thermostat, if you block it off water will not circulate at the top of the head on that side, just plumb it back in to system somewhere to keep it circulating