Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th October 2009, 10:37 PM

Angry Wiring !!?!?!?

Well ive pretty much finished the exhaust, so thought id get started on the wiring today. I was usinng the sierra wiring diagrams from the haynes manual, but!!! its soo confusing. I fistly tried connecting up as many of the connectors as possible, and then asses what needs to be removed from the loom, but its so frustrating as looking at the sierra wiring diagram i have is no help whatsoever, especially once everything is connected i end up with too many connectors of which i dont know what to get rid of., and added to the fact i didnt make it easy for myself when my sierra was tkaen apart by labelling/indexing the wiring properly, i am throughly baffled. I dont want to buy another loom from svc or the premier ones, and from reading other threads it seems very do-able to modify the original sierra loom, but when i see a loose connector, i have no idea what it is meant to go to originally, so dont want to get rid of it. I have no idea which ones go to the lights either as i dont remember from when i stripped the loom out originally. ahhh... i cant stand how frustrating this is!!!

I dont know how i can do this.. is there any picture assisted wiring diagram out there(unlikely) or somthing that might make this easier?????
Old 27th October 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
.. i cant stand how frustrating this is!!!

Could'nt help smiling when I read your post....
Not because it's funny, but because I've been there...

Drove me to Bl***y distraction.
The only advice I can give is get the engine wiring sorted first.
Then worry about the lights and stuff.

David

Simple diagram Pinto engine

Last edited by dogwood : 27th October 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:52 PM

I started off this morning at arond 10 and withing 20 min was banging my head against the engine crane trying to get my head around it. I sectiond off the loom by poutting each diferent part of it in plastic bags, which makes the whole thing easier to handle. i was doing the engine bit of the loom today, but as i have almost no memory of what the loom was like in the sierra, i was struggling with the engine bay connectors, the thing is the thing is the sierra haynes wiring diagrams would have been more helpful if i know what certain things on the diagram were, i look at the key to find the name of the part the wires should be going to, but then have no idea what that part is meant to llok like or where it is located on the engine. At least ford use diifferent connnectors for everything, but it does make me feel like a 2 year old just trying to solve those toys where you have to put the triangle in the triangle slot and the square in the squares slot.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood View Post
Could'nt help smiling when I read your post....

Simple diagram Pinto engine
Thanks,

..... if only it was as simple as the diagram makes it out to be

I understand that it should be quite easy thoretically(famous last words ), becase as the book says, theres not much that is actually needed in the roadster in terms of wiring, but theres too much crap to offload from the loom to make it so simple.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:05 PM

Geeman, if you post some photos of connectors or pm them to me I will identify them for you, I have many years experience of Ford wiring looms & should be able to help you sort it out, Thanks, dennis.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:10 PM

I usually use these from Westfield world, simple and easy to understand.

Cheers

Chris
Old 28th October 2009, 12:13 PM

I hung the wiring harness on the garage wall laid out as in the car, then starting at the fuse box identified each circuit and removed them. Check, check - cut!
Having it bundled up in separate pieces is no good as you will keep going over and over the same bits.

What I was left with was an overlong basic loom that I could lay on the chassis and route effectively.

I know the wiring diagrams are confusing as they are individual I found it quite easy having it laid out and learned a lot along the way about the circuits and how they work.

Steve

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 28th October 2009, 12:18 PM

I did my Sierra loom by fitting it into the roadster, and then removing a circuit at a time. I did however label all of the connectors as I removed it in the donor.

I was worried about cutting something out that I shouldn't. By having the loom in the car I could check light functions, and start the engine every so often to make sure I hadn't removed a circuit I needed.

As said before post up some pics of the connectors & we might be able to id them for you. What engine are you using?

Mark
Old 28th October 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gibbs View Post
I usually use these from Westfield world, simple and easy to understand.

Cheers

Chris
Ahh, i had seen that westfield one before, but i was using mozilla firefox and the text on the pic was coming up as hashes.. but i used internet explorer this time and it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coozer View Post
I hung the wiring harness on the garage wall laid out as in the car, then starting at the fuse box identified each circuit and removed them. Check, check - cut!
Having it bundled up in separate pieces is no good as you will keep going over and over the same bits.

What I was left with was an overlong basic loom that I could lay on the chassis and route effectively.

I know the wiring diagrams are confusing as they are individual I found it quite easy having it laid out and learned a lot along the way about the circuits and how they work.

Steve
once youd undone the loom tape and layed it out, is each circuit seperate coming out of the fuse box, as i guess i could just look at what fuse it is going to in the fuse box and remove that part of the loom...

hmm... that made it sound much easier... off to the garage i go...
Old 28th October 2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I did my Sierra loom by fitting it into the roadster, and then removing a circuit at a time. I did however label all of the connectors as I removed it in the donor.

I was worried about cutting something out that I shouldn't. By having the loom in the car I could check light functions, and start the engine every so often to make sure I hadn't removed a circuit I needed.

As said before post up some pics of the connectors & we might be able to id them for you. What engine are you using?

Mark
Im using a 1.8 carb cvh. i think ill try what coozer said and go fromt he fuse box and firstly remove the bulk of the loom as it will largely be in seperate circuits.

i dont yet have any lights, but the thing is there are around 8 unconnected connectors just on the engine loom that im abit confused what they originally went to that i dont have on the car right now.

cheers,
geeman