Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th February 2015, 11:39 PM

Finally I've started messing around with my inlet and exhaust systems, eyeing up clearances and planning what I'm going to do.

Old 15th February 2015, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

So is that the 2.5 AJV6... easy upgrade to the 3.0 later on

Gr8 engin in all its forms.

Had a 2.5 SI mondeo thad sounded nice and a 3.0 S-type that was lovely.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 16th February 2015, 01:31 AM

Nope, this is the 3.0 litre... at least that is what was on the V5 of the S-type I broke! I have just found out that the injectors are tiny though, about 150cc/min which is much lower than I expected
I must confess I ran the Jag for a little after I'd started to remove some of the exhaust... it definitely reaffirmed my choice of engine
Old 12th May 2015, 12:06 AM

It's been a little while, but I haven't been idle! I've been working on my exhaust (which is taking far longer than I expected), planning my intake (read: collecting parts and poking them) and punishing my liver.
I've now got the left side tacked together, gonna sort out the silencer mounts and link pipe next and then replicate it on the right hand side. That's the theory at least!

The welding isn't the tidiest, I've since learnt to use the foot pedal to good effect. Also at this point my liver was staging a spirited counter attack, however I am pleased to announce that a truce has been called for now.

Last edited by Badger : 12th May 2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12th May 2015, 12:08 AM

Also thanks to some significant help from Rosco I'll hopefully be installing a full cage on this - after chatting with a work mate about his run in with a deer I was convinced!
Old 25th May 2015, 11:21 PM

Minor update: got a couple of hours in so fabricated\modified my exhaust mounts to support my beefy cans (hur hur hur). Got both sides done, so just (just!) the headers to do on the RHS and then I'll set about fully welding it. Wanted to get both sides done before fully welding in case something needed modifying, and to allow me to spread the welding out and hopefully limit warpage due to heat.

Also the bent components for the roll cage arrived, but numpty here managed to give the wrong dimensions for the rear roll bar. That'll teach me for doing it in a hurry! Don't suppose anyone wants an extra-width rear roll bar?
Old 26th May 2015, 08:22 AM

Looking good! Instead of those exhaust clamps have you seen the stainless mikalor exhaust clamps, a bit more iva frendly

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=201221303492

Also how wide is your bar? Because i wish mine was a bit wider so it sits closer to the outside of the car
Old 26th May 2015, 10:17 PM

I haven't seen those before, they look quite cunning! May end up switching to those when I do the final install of the exhaust.

I need to modify the cat mount, either rounding and covering the joint or cutting off the current mount, rotating the band and rewelding it so the joint is hidden behind the can.

As for the roll bar, I had the same cunning idea as you. Working off the pictures of mine (as i was in Reading) I reckoned it could be moved outwards by about the radius per side. Unfortunately I then managed to lift the wrong dimension off the drawing... It is now slightly wider than the chassis (about 1.17m).

May be good for anyone building a 442 or similar, but little to no use for anyone building a standard width car.

The disturbing thing is that I'm a mechanical engineer and read drawings most days at work... my only defence is that I was knackered and in a hurry!
Old 26th May 2015, 11:00 PM

Lol the only drawing i didnt do for you! Haha, how about getting the two bends bent a little closer to 90? Or dropping the height a bit?

Yeah those clamps are pretty neat, people use them on hoses to
Old 26th May 2015, 11:28 PM

Yeah, ruddy typical. A good example of my actions going faster than my brain As I said, rather embarrassing! Unfortunately I see no way of salvaging the roll bar, will just have to bite the bullet and order another one.