Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2009, 10:13 PM

Hi Andy your not sticking your nose in at all, infact I could use some advice cant decide what to do and I think the guy needs an answer. I also don't know much about bikes so any advice from a biker is great. Where is fabby located? I am near Derby. Trouble is I can't ride a bike so I haven't got a clue how I'd get one home.
I dreamt about bike engnes last night.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:29 PM

Fabby is way down in Devon so that may influence your choice.
the Fzr bike is a nice bike with a very strong motor, i,ve raced a few, the bike you have been offered is ok, but if i remember your original post the bike isn,t a runner at the mo????

maybe suggest to the owner that if you or him can get it running then it may be worth it for you, its not a bad engine but worries me its not running at the mo.
the kwack engine isn,t as free revving as the Fzr but has good torque so in a car it might still be a good choice.

has he said £300 for it? if so offer £200 as a non runner (subject to why its not running etc) or £300 for it if he gets it running.

sorry i know that doesn,t help much but thats what i would do,

cheers
andy

ps.. its ok, i dream of my bike racing days too, smiles

Last edited by HandyAndy : 22nd July 2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added the ps part
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:51 PM

hi chris

in reply to your question reverse is a very simple arangment using a gear mounted on the diff input flange and a starter moter mounted on the bracket in the transmision tunnel

as for the bike you were offered i cannot say i now that model perticualy well so am unable to offer an educated oppinion other than i went out in slims roadster a wile back with about 125hp and it goes like stink

I see you are neer derby, nyself i am neer melton mowbray leicestershire not to far away really you are more than welcome to pop over and see my bird engined roadster (not on the road yet but not far off) so you can see how you overcome some the the problems of fitting a bike engine, its very simple, in some aspects more simple than fitting a car engine belive it or not, though it does have its tricky bits

hope this helps
the offer is there is you want to come take a look

chears tilly
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:06 PM

Bang a tuned fireblade motor in it (i'm biased).

Tilly , i had a reverse setup like that in my first bike engined rally car and it worked well till it stuck on , managed to reverse out of a ditch after a spin and went backwards into the ditch on the other side of the track it was embarrassing and funny at the same time, but up to that point it worked well, i'm using a quaife reverse box in my build

Cheers Dave

Have fun dudes thats what it's all about
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:16 PM

Dave.(Blade)

thats funny can just picture the scene & imagine your words

andy
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:31 AM

Thanks Tilly I thought thats how you would do it. I have heard that the clearance isn't great on the diff input flange, would guess you'd need quite a small gear. I actually live in swadlincote but come from Tamworth and I know where you live, I am actually not that far i will have to arrange to come over and have a nose some time.

As for the Kawasaki 1000rx, the guy is a really nice guy and I believe him that it did run before it sat hibernating in his shed, runs in 2 cylinders, it turned over fine and has only 24000 miles on it. Was working a treat until he slid it in 96. He said £100 at first then changed his mind when I went to look at it, he realised I basically need most of the parts to get it to run.

My mate sugessted I offer less, I think the guy was expecting me to haggle because he said £300 and then there was a pause. But I'm terrible at bartering so just went "Umm, I'll have to think about it".

I'm going on holiday to Cornwall on Friday so I am down that way, but I don't think that Yamaha will fit in the wifes 1 series.

Cheers Chris