Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
cash is kinda strapped for now. So something i can build and drive around and not to exspensive to begin with and upgrade later is what i'm after.
you sound so similar to me

but seriously ............ that is what my ethos of my build is based on too.

enjoy your build

andy
Old 22nd July 2009, 05:52 PM

Bike engine, dont worry about reverse thats easy iv spent a couple of months thinking about that one and solved it for just over 100 quid (il have to put some pics up at some point but i think there is a pick of the mk sports cars one on locostbuilders somewere. basicly the same but smaller, lighter, cheeper and no need to put a hole in the floor.. also cheep to insure
Im building mine with a honda CBR1100 XX2 blackbird engine 165Hp and at age 21 best quote iv had fully comp limited millage 1500 miles is 360 quid and no need to upgrade the engine later just slightly more expencive in the begining but saving yourself alot off hassle in the future

hope this helps
Tilly

ps thanks for the compliment slim
Old 22nd July 2009, 05:54 PM

Turbo Diesel ! No cat.
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Turbo Diesel ! No cat.
and your own personal peice of global warming following you down the road....i like it
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:37 PM

Hi Tilly thanks for the info that was one of the only things that was bothering me .. well the other one was a friend who says that every 15,000 miles ill have to replace the engine. So decided to go with the car engine.

So how much has it cost you so far to get the bec on the road ? or how much you looking at spending ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 06:47 PM

hi there its cost me about 5K so far but im almost there but i havnt done it poticualy lo-cost i have used alot of new parts, in responce to your consern about a new engine after 15K miles 1 at 1500 miles a year thats 10 years of smiles, and 2 you will find that the gear box will go before the engine so if you do go for a bike stick to 1000 cc or more since the gear boxes are much stronger. that was one of the things that made me choose the bird, it has a very strong gear box also i got one at a fairly good price, give malk at yorkshire engines a call he will sort you out, also good services, oil changes etc will keep the engine in good order as for reverse it gave me no end of sleepless nights but now iv sused it its soooo easy.

hope this helps
tilly
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:52 PM

Think about it Tilly,no ignition,no cat,keep the smoke down and Bob is ones uncle.
Then fit something crazy after IVA,it is the master plan !!!!!!

Last edited by flyerncle : 22nd July 2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 22nd July 2009, 08:22 PM

I agree with those who recommend the use of whatever engine comes with the donor. If you haven't already got a donor, make sure you get something that is drivable, then drive it for a while and check out all the running gear.

After the build, drive the car and enjoy it. When you find it simply hasn't got enough power then upgrade it, makes a good winter project, plus you will have a much better idea of what you want by then

I would suggest getting a ride in a bike engined car before you decide to go that route.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:36 PM

How have you solved your reverse Tilly I have been scratching my head over it. I think of some cheap and simple solutions using a starter and flywheel, space permitting.
Also did you see my post about being offered a Kawasaki GPZ1000rx still undecided whether its suitable or not, 125bhp is still more than my old mx5 and the car should weigh half the mazda.

Cheers Chris
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseyj View Post
How have you solved your reverse Tilly I have been scratching my head over it. I think of some cheap and simple solutions using a starter and flywheel, space permitting.
Also did you see my post about being offered a Kawasaki GPZ1000rx still undecided whether its suitable or not, 125bhp is still more than my old mx5 and the car should weigh half the mazda.

Cheers Chris
Chriseyj...

depending on where you are located i would suggest you think about the FZR1000 bike that fabby mentioned, more chance it,ll be easier in the long run as its a known runner for i think it was the same price as the one you,ve been offered.
sorry if i should keep my nose out but the Fzr motor is a nice engine

cheers
andy
Ps ( ex bike racer )