Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th June 2014, 05:52 PM

Default Car wiring

Hi does anybody know what the large metal box thing with a metal grill over it with two wire connector one red and one black wire and where abouts it is fitted on Mk1 MX5 1600, bought all my parts already dismantled so I don't have any idea where things were in the engine bay and I can't seem to find any reference to it in any books etc, I'm sorting out the wiring loom and want to put the wiring down the right side of the engine for this item, also I have problem with the relays for the lights, I have a Headlight relay but the wiring colour codes don't seem to match any diagrams I can find and I don't seem to have the TNS relay.
Can anyone help please.
Regards Mick.
Old 18th June 2014, 10:02 PM

Hi mick any chance of a pic and I will have a look on my loom I removed it and labeled everything not so long ago

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 19th June 2014, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the reply I will take a picture tomorrow and try to get it on here don't know how yet though
Regards Mick.
Old 19th June 2014, 05:39 PM

I have cleaned it up and the writing on it shows it to be a large resistor 70 W 1ohm don't know where it goes though can't seem to upload picture
Old 19th June 2014, 06:18 PM

Its the headlight dip/dim resistor. I think it was used to dim the headlights so as to act like side lights as the MX5 didnt have side lights as such.

I kept mine for some reason. I must try unplugging/bridging it and see if my lights still work because I sure do have side lights. I cant find it on any of my wiring diagrams at work.

edit:

Quote:
UK specification cars have a dim-dip function. This raises the headlights and illuminates them at about 16% of normal illumination whenever the sidelights are turned on and the ignition is on.
So in the UK our side light must have to be part of the main headlight unit, the side lights that are part of the indicators didnt suffice so the headlights turned on at low power to simulate it.

Cheers
Stot

Last edited by Stot : 19th June 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 19th June 2014, 07:01 PM

Hi Stot thanks for that info, where does it connect,did you have a relay for headlights and a TNS relay?
I don't have have either of these but I have a relay which is for dim dip HD22
But the wire colour code doesn't match any of the diagrams I have, also the wires for dipped headlights seem very small compared to the main beam ones

Regards Mick.
Old 19th June 2014, 09:35 PM

Its the white connector near the HD22 and LM10 I think is the other relay there and also the wiper stuff.

I unplugged mine and it makes no difference because I removed the dip dim relay so I'm going to whip it out.

Cheers
Stot
Old 19th June 2014, 11:41 PM

Here you go, remove that lot!

Old 20th June 2014, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the wiring diagram have worked it out now it was the dim/dip relay and no headlight and tns relay that was confusing me