Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th August 2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
ahh crap, that would have been binned so i dont have it . here is all i ahve from the steering wheel
The one in the top picture is a spare one if it will help you out. I don't have the pinch bolt assembly though.

If you are not wanting an adjustable steering set up then a plain bolt & crush tube will do the trick nicely.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 7th August 2009, 09:30 PM

ok, i guess il fabricate my own bracet, looks like somthing that would be easy to replicate in some way. Also the only reason i am yet to fit cp 15 and the steering supports to the chassis yet is that i am not sure how far apart the 2 cp15 plates are meant to be as i cant find any reference to the distance between them in the book.
Old 7th August 2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
The one in the top picture is a spare one if it will help you out. I don't have the pinch bolt assembly though.

If you are not wanting an adjustable steering set up then a plain bolt & crush tube will do the trick nicely.
oh, never saw this reply, thanks for the offer Bonzo, but ill see what i can do in terms of making my own bracket as i dont think it will be of any problem by the looks of it. hmm.. is it just me(probably is) or can i not actually find the distance between the 2 cp15 plates in the book as i just had another good look through it
Old 7th August 2009, 10:18 PM

there is a thread with measurements, tho it might be one of the threads that went missing,
tho once you have the plate that attaches the column to CP15 it does become clearer, if you wish i can measure my position tomorrow for you & either phone you with them or post on the forum ?
it also helps if you have CP16 in place as the column seems to "fall naturally" into place.

would the measurements from my chassis help?
cheers
andy
Old 7th August 2009, 10:43 PM

i fitted cp16 quite a while ago, however as i dont have the bracket , i cant tell what sort of distance to place it. If you could get the measurements and put 'em up here that would be great . Thanks!!!

on another completely different note, anyone know where i can get a roll bar made cheaply. I remember reading on here a while ago that someone was doing group buys of roll bars fairly cheaply, i wonder if that is still possible, as it seems that the roadster building community is quickly growing and there should be many more people in need of a roll bar
Old 7th August 2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

geeman when doing the electrolysis use mild steel. using stainless steel creates a substance called chromium. chromium causes cancer if you have too much exposure. the water you have used already will be contaminated. i suggest that you dispose of it by not tipping it down the drain.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
geeman when doing the electrolysis use mild steel. using stainless steel creates a substance called chromium. chromium causes cancer if you have too much exposure. the water you have used already will be contaminated. i suggest that you dispose of it by not tipping it down the drain.
whoops.. its a bit late for not tipping it down the dain... however i wish i had been told to use mild steel in the first place as i used my mums pots frrom the kitchen for tthe stainless steel. i have plenty of mild steel, i just followed the instructions in tthe link i had put in a prievious post
Old 8th August 2009, 09:25 PM

sorry for being late with the info, had busy day with my family celebrating my mum,s 80th birthday

measurements for you......

the CP15 plate that is on the outside(offside) is 120mm from the inner edge of TR2 along the TR9 rail, then you have the 40mm width of CP15 then a 60mm gap to the next CP15 plate.

i hope this makes sense & hope it helps

cheers
andy
Old 8th August 2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
sorry for being late with the info, had busy day with my family celebrating my mum,s 80th birthday

measurements for you......

the CP15 plate that is on the outside(offside) is 120mm from the inner edge of TR2 along the TR9 rail, then you have the 40mm width of CP15 then a 60mm gap to the next CP15 plate.

i hope this makes sense & hope it helps

cheers
andy

Thanks!!! that will help me get the steering bits fitted. Ill probably do it on monday as i wont be doing any work tomorrow. Today i made the diff mounting plates, made plates cp10 and fitted them, fitted the diff, and then fitted the other wheel so the whole rear section is rolling . I then wheel barrowed the chassis outside on the driveway and my neighbours finally realised what i was doing with al the metal and nosie in my garage.

also, the drive shafts were a tight fit, but nevertheless did fit. I also bought some swarfega from halfords as i was tired of dirty hands and it sucessfully gets rid of oil off my hand(mum was killing me for getting all the walls black )
Old 9th August 2009, 02:37 PM

ok, well i tried fitting the steering supports, which seem ok, however im bemused as to how this is all going to work. for a start my steering column doesnt look like it is right, what goes in the cp16 hole to support the coloumn and wheredo you extend it from, it just seems like it wont reach the universal joints at the end of the column the is on the rack as the suspension upright at the front is in the way. I know i have probably not been very clear but hope the pics help. Also where abouts does the yoke go on the coloumn as shown by bonzo a few posts before. It seems that i never had one of those in the first place

Also, i should say the steering coloumn does sit futher down than what is in the pics, but not my much. THanks

Last edited by geeman : 9th August 2009 at 02:48 PM.