Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:28 PM

Default Harness fixing points

Sorry more questions.....

I plan to fit my harness to my modified top seat rail and I know there is a minimum distance from the base of the seat to the top fixing points, but I have read a post somewhere regarding if the harness touches the seat this will be classed as a structual part of the car and will fail if deemed not strong enough.

I have purchased a 4 point harness from "Prima Motorsport" which I must say is top quality and made to my personal requirements for less than £100 delivered.....
It has a quick release buckle fitted to the left hand side, quick release hooks to the top straps for fitting to eyebolts and pull down lap straps away from the buckle, (and it's black and yellow... ).

So to meet legal requirements if I fit threaded spacers to my top seat rail and fit eye bolts into the spacers will this be Ok as long as the harness does not touch the seat?

I believe Spud69 said as long as your shoulder is higher than the hole in your seat this will be fine.
So what if the examiner is somewhat vertically challanged surely the seat will touch the harness and become a faliure?

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:33 PM

i was of the under standing that rotory latch releases are not iva ok but i could be wrong or now its ok in the updated regs
could be in note 5 section 31?
note 5"The locking mechanism, i.e. the buckle, when both under load and not under load, can be released by a single movement in one direction by either hand."
Also
Each seat belt must bear the appropriate approval marks or have the equivalent characteristics to that of a belt approved for the same category of vehicle to ensure the belt meets the required approval standards. (see note 5)
Each seat belt must be attached by an appropriate fixing and be securely fitted (see notes 3 & 4)

A harness or three point belt “effective upper anchorage” location must be at least 450mm above the reference point. (see note 14)

Note 14: The “effective anchorage” is any point where the load from a belt would be applied, consideration should be made to the suitability of the seat to withstand the loads likely to be imposed.
See section 19

would be worth checking with your local iva stn. and reading section 31 of iva manual it has a diagram in for minimum height ancorage points from seat base.
i took my harnesses in to my local iva stn and the man there was more than happy to inspect my belts. he gave me a few pointers and seem to make out that thay are quiet hot on belts and ancorages and a tip he gave me was if your seat is on runners then bottom belt plates need to be able to rotate to alow the change in angle with the seat in all runner postions but if thay are fixed its not an issue
Old 24th October 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
i was of the under standing that rotory latch releases are not iva ok but i could be wrong or now its ok in the updated regs
could be in note 5 section 31?
note 5"The locking mechanism, i.e. the buckle, when both under load and not under load, can be released by a single movement in one direction by either hand."
Also
Each seat belt must bear the appropriate approval marks or have the equivalent characteristics to that of a belt approved for the same category of vehicle to ensure the belt meets the required approval standards. (see note 5)
Each seat belt must be attached by an appropriate fixing and be securely fitted (see notes 3 & 4)

A harness or three point belt “effective upper anchorage” location must be at least 450mm above the reference point. (see note 14)

Note 14: The “effective anchorage” is any point where the load from a belt would be applied, consideration should be made to the suitability of the seat to withstand the loads likely to be imposed.
See section 19

would be worth checking with your local iva stn. and reading section 31 of iva manual it has a diagram in for minimum height ancorage points from seat base.
i took my harnesses in to my local iva stn and the man there was more than happy to inspect my belts. he gave me a few pointers and seem to make out that thay are quiet hot on belts and ancorages and a tip he gave me was if your seat is on runners then bottom belt plates need to be able to rotate to alow the change in angle with the seat in all runner postions but if thay are fixed its not an issue
Hi Baz,
Here's a quote from Prima MotorSport..
All our Kit Car / Single Seat / Sports Car Harnesses are manufactured to order. They are manufactured using a 3” Shoulder and 3” lap strap, using our new lighter weight steel adjuster, and lighter quick release buckle. Available with Anchor Plates, or Compact Hooks (for quick release), or any combination of Compact Hooks or Anchor Plates. We can also manufacture with the lap adjustment as a standard adjustment (pulled up from the floor) or as a reverse tighten (it is pulled down from the quick release buckle). Available in Red, Bue or Black webbing, they are manufactured in Poole Dorset, using only UK sourced components.

NOW VOSA APPROVED FOR IVA TESTING
Prima Motorsport are proud to announce that after many months of negotiating and diplomacy, we have persuaded VOSA and the Department of Transport that our FIA approved harnesses, homologated to FIA 8853 – 98 are an acceptable standard to pass an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval [IVA] Manual for Vehicle Category M1 [Passenger Vehicles] with effect from the revision date of 24th May 2010.

Johno
Old 25th October 2012, 08:15 PM

What about using the original inertia reel's from the donor,top fittings are on the rear stays in the book and change after IVA.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 26th October 2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
Hi Baz,
Here's a quote from Prima MotorSport..
All our Kit Car / Single Seat / Sports Car Harnesses are manufactured to order. They are manufactured using a 3” Shoulder and 3” lap strap, using our new lighter weight steel adjuster, and lighter quick release buckle. Available with Anchor Plates, or Compact Hooks (for quick release), or any combination of Compact Hooks or Anchor Plates. We can also manufacture with the lap adjustment as a standard adjustment (pulled up from the floor) or as a reverse tighten (it is pulled down from the quick release buckle). Available in Red, Bue or Black webbing, they are manufactured in Poole Dorset, using only UK sourced components.

NOW VOSA APPROVED FOR IVA TESTING
Prima Motorsport are proud to announce that after many months of negotiating and diplomacy, we have persuaded VOSA and the Department of Transport that our FIA approved harnesses, homologated to FIA 8853 – 98 are an acceptable standard to pass an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval [IVA] Manual for Vehicle Category M1 [Passenger Vehicles] with effect from the revision date of 24th May 2010.
may have changed then? i didnt want you to get a iva fail and have to pay a retest fee. its always best to be on the safe side as iva regs change slightly now and then, some good some bad!

i noted the other day my old hard copy said you had to have 9mm tall letters or somthing for chassis no# now its only 3.5mm so i could just use my stamps i have
Old 26th October 2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
may have changed then? i didnt want you to get a iva fail and have to pay a retest fee. its always best to be on the safe side as iva regs change slightly now and then, some good some bad!

i noted the other day my old hard copy said you had to have 9mm tall letters or somthing for chassis no# now its only 3.5mm so i could just use my stamps i have
Thanks for the heads up...
So are you going to stamp your chassis numbe direct onto the car or on a plate. I believe some stations don't like chassis numbers stamped on a plate and then welded to the chassis...
Out of curiousity where are you going to put your number as I currently still haven't done this and there seems to be various options but which is most acceptable for IVA?
If it's Ok now for 3.5mm you could possibly stamp it near the corner of the box with little distortion.

Johno