Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th May 2016, 05:55 PM

here is the first bit from Glenshee to Braemar, great scenery as well as great driving roads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZIqkYtl5o
Old 16th May 2016, 08:07 PM

So envious, looks great

Just keep going we will get there in the end.
Old 16th May 2016, 08:49 PM

Thanks yes it was great to be out with so many like minded folk having an "enthusiastic" drive with everything from home builds upto a brand new cater ham car, good craic and banter and a wee bit of serious driving and a whole lot of fun
Old 17th May 2016, 04:34 PM

ok so here we go leaving Braemar heading for the Lecht (25% gradient)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM5GCDM9zeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REzWI9K2Po0
Old 17th May 2016, 04:48 PM

haha look what the postie fetched me
a set of 360cc red injectors ( std light purple are 245cc) now just need a seal kit and some spare time.
One thing I did notice from sundays enthusiastic run and climbs was just how well the supercharger delivers its power loads of torque and always there when you need it another thing is when accelerating hard in 4/5 it pulls like a train and then its almost like an extra half gear kicking in as the vvt comes in
happy days.
BUT next a remote oil cooler, and a diffuser ( vmax pics please) and then after the summer I need to speak to mr vmax about some bodywork to tidy her up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0110.JPG (39.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 17th May 2016, 07:56 PM

and the last clip from sunday , up and over the lecht, enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvqXG1CXFZo
Old 21st May 2016, 02:02 PM

argh , minor disaster last night my s/c belt snapped , whilst fending off the attentions of an alfa, still local garage had one so sorted but need to carry a spare, strangely enough she drove ok but a little slow from idle and boy oh boy did I miss that whine and torque / power delivery.
You should have seen the alfa drivers face after he said "I think your alternator belt came off" and I said no its the supercharger one !
anyway turns out he was a bit of a petrol head and we chatted away for a bit before heading home.
been into town today to pick up some camping stuff for killin and applecross and of course had to make sure all packed into the Haynes , nae problem

Oh happy days
Old 21st May 2016, 04:36 PM

thats a bummer did you find the old belt to look at? maybe not running exactly true? or have ou just kicked its arse for the last couple of weeks
Old 21st May 2016, 04:55 PM

It deff runs true as I took extra care to ensure alignment,..... BUT..... I'm afraid it has suffered some terrible abuse in the last few weeks done a fair bit of enthusiastic driving and incline assaults lecht , brig o broon and cairngorm

Last edited by garyt : 21st May 2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 9th June 2016, 12:10 PM

well what a few days of high and lows...
Monday morning left in glorious sunshine to drive to aviemore , meet a friend who is touring in his westy and onto Killin for 4 days touring.
so met Geoffrey in aviemore and we headed south about half way it started raining, we pressed on as I am afraid to say its all part of sevening in Scotland, you ARE going to get wet at some point, we turned off onto the Trinafour road over towards Rannoch moor , the rain stopped and we enjoyed some absolutely stunning views, arriving in Killin around 6pm wash change and dinner, laughter and craic
Tuesday, we had arranged a fair old wander around the north east about 300 miles in all, so an early start with no breakie, we headed off to Dunnoter castle near Stonehaven where we met up with another couple of westy members . spent a couple of hours there and then Davids car wouldn't start, traced to a loose wire on the ignition switch so were off next stop Aboyne as there were some very thirsty cars.... and on to Cockbridge infamous off terry wogans radio show during the winter months.... we stopped at a café at 4.05pm to be told they stopped doing hot food at 4.00pm grrrrrrrr
here we said goodbye to Les and his stunning red v8 westy and onto the lecht summit, some brilliant roads to drive along here, did some cracking photos at the top, now onto Coylumbridge its raining now !!!!!!! so again some stunning views and great driving roads, by the time we reached Coylumbridge we were driving in thunderstorms, here we said goodbye to David and Geoffrey and me started our "submariner experience"
The Drive back down the A9 was actually the worst rain I have ever seen and everything was saturated there was rain coming in from the top spray from the front wheels hosing in off the rear arches on both sides, trorrential spray at face height from passing lorries buses etc and water coming up throught drain holes as there was so much standing water. 30 mph was actually as fast as you dare go as you could barely see through the spray and rain !!
Again we turned off on the Trinafour road where we could actually see the lightening ! not so much spray now but still raining and lots of standing water.. as we reached the top of the moor....... silence........ and I coasted to a stop
now you have to understand its getting late we are soaked beyond wet, hungry and now I have broken down in the middle of nowhere and we are stood absolutely p#'#'ing ourselves laughing so opened the bonnet and fuse box to find the main ignition fuse blown and more water in there mmmm
so I didn't have a fuse of that sort (its not a blade type) so jury rigged a bypass now some of the electrics were working and she turned over but no start, not wanting to abandon her on the moor we freewheeled down the hills to a house where we parked at a pull in and phoned the breakdown, we are very busy there are a lot of breakdowns , its raining was the reply, so we sat about waiting jokes , laughter singing and dancing in the rain, and then the rain stopped ....... and the midgies came out, the breakdown arrived at just after 9pm and he started trying to get her to fire up.
So its now 10pm we are still wet still hungry and being eaten by midgies when the local gamekeeper arrives and then leaves and returns with food and drink for all and would not accept anything for it just asked us to repay the favour if we find someone in need.
A true gentleman who will never know how much he was appreciated that night.
So recovery arranged and Geoffrey asked if I had to accompany the car home as he would take me home the next day...... he was heading south to Yorkshire not north to dufftown, so what happened next had everyone in stitches 2 blokes (not very slim) in a westy, the mechanic stuffed our belongings in around us and the game keeper gave us the rest of the food and drinks and off we set....so those of you of a certain age (the rest can look it up ) will remember a tv show called 2 fat ladies well here we are going along " the adventures of 2 fat blokes in a westy" we got to Killin at 12.30am
Wednesday, packed and picked up by Geoffrey we had a great day out visiting a distillery and going up the funicular railway on cairngorm, a phone call from the garage to say they had just dropped my car at the house and we got here at 6pm Geoffrey and I said our good byes and of he went.
Now yes I broke down but no one was hurt, the car will sort and dry out but I have to say a big thanks to the insurance company for dealing with everything, and to Geoffrey who without batting an eyelid made sure I got home safely. Despite everything we had a great time some great memories and are looking forward to our next adventure