Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th July 2012, 11:22 PM

Default Pinto vs CVH

I'm slowly learning (i think) and am happy that I can get a Sierra donor. But a pinto engine seems a bigger ask - it looks like I might end up with a CVH engined one. Will that matter much in terms of a 'book' build? Will it still fit under the bonnet OK? Will it likely still come with a type 9 box in the donor?

The book suggests CVH isn't as good a choice as a pinto - but from reading the forum it looks like a fair few people have them?
Old 13th July 2012, 12:35 AM

I think CVH is presented as not as good as Pinto because they are less powerful and don't have as many aftermarket tuning parts. But in any case rebuilding any of these engines is economically ungrounded, as a fraction of the cost would buy you a Zetec, which is a much more advanced engine, competing with a souped-up Pinto or CVH even in standard tune.

CVH offers a smoother upgrade path to Zetec, as the exhaust is on the same side (left), and probably even the right hand engine mount will fit straight on.

Last edited by alga : 13th July 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 13th July 2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
I'm slowly learning (i think) and am happy that I can get a Sierra donor. But a pinto engine seems a bigger ask - it looks like I might end up with a CVH engined one. Will that matter much in terms of a 'book' build? Will it still fit under the bonnet OK? Will it likely still come with a type 9 box in the donor?

The book suggests CVH isn't as good a choice as a pinto - but from reading the forum it looks like a fair few people have them?
You will have to excuse the forum members here because most of them are speed freaks. Nothing wrong with a pinto or a cvh if thats what you have and either will put a huge grin on your face in a roadster. In a lot of ways these earlier engines make more sense and there are always cheap hop up goodies about to tweak them.This has all been covered in previous threads and it comes down to what you want from the finished car. If you have it and it fits the budget use it, its only a few hours and some spanners to swap in something else later if you wish. Just my worthless humble opinion.

Bob

Edit. In the same way the zetec can trade places with the cvh the same applies with the older cosworth and the pinto.

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 13th July 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 13th July 2012, 09:55 AM

I think from memory the CVH is actually smaller than the pinto so fitting it in with all the extra gubbins is much easier. Not to mention as others have said to upgrade to a zetec after a later date once you've got your age related plate is much easier using a CVH. I'm pretty sure you can actually take parts off the CVH to use in the zetec FWD to RWD conversion?
Old 13th July 2012, 01:51 PM

Its your build ignore all the, this is better than that twaddel, fit what you want. As i said its your build so your choice

Arfon
Old 13th July 2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

I am using a CVH for the initial build. I was going 2.9V6 but it was a bit of a pig to fit the bonnet.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 13th July 2012, 07:58 PM

Thanks chaps - useful info all round! Yes, the idea is to get whatever engine comes with the Sierra donor in for simplicty/age related plate/IVA and possibly think about a swap later down the line.

I am keen to avoid the air filter sticking out of the bonnet if poss - but it sounds like that can be worked around.
Old 13th July 2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

The CVH filter will have to stick out the bonnet if you use the stock downdraught carb, I use a Piper-X filter.

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 15th July 2012, 08:10 AM

If you fit a Pinto the next upgrade is a Duratec
If you fit a CVH the next upgrade is a Zetec
Because the inlet and exhausts are on the same side
Ducting the air to the carb with a filter remotely located is the way to go if you don't want to cut a hole in the bonnet, there are a few purpose made adaptors for weber downdraft carbs.
Old 15th July 2012, 02:34 PM

Duratec will require a custom bell housing (at least 200 quid) and aftermarket engine management (I don't think bike carbs would pass emissions). In my view an early Zetec is a much easier and more trodden path even for swapping from Pinto.