Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th April 2014, 09:23 PM

Default MX5 based build thread

I'll start by introducing myself, having been using the forum for a few years now I've only recently registered, my names Chris, 28 and residing in Warwickshire.

The forum has been a wealth of knowledge whilst planning my build, using your posts and threads to evolve my build in my head before finally getting stuck in.

I figured now is as good a time as any to begin my roadster build, having recently finished my Mini project I found my self with an empty workshop and a yearning for a challenge to evolve my engineering and mechanical skills some more.

I purchased a chassis kit via ebay around 6 weeks ago, needing to clear the workshop out and sort my build table, it's taken until today to actually unpack it and get started.

I plan on building an mx5 based chassis, utilising the Mazda suspension and steering but going for the ford duratec engine, coupled to the mk3 mx5 gearbox.

Well that's the current plan, I'm sure as things unfold it will change some what.

So I started my build table this morning, I managed to knock it up in about an hour, using wood I had in stock and 25mm mdf board as the surface, it's worried out well and I've been able to free more space by utilising the area beneath the table.

Once this was done the kit was unpacked, I seem to be a few bits missing, mainly the front frame tubes, I've sent an email for clarification and to see if I can get it sorted. Luckily I purchased a part kit some years ago from a chap on ebay and I have a front frame and some spare tubing to get on with.

Build table up and the kit unpacked

I sorted all the tubes into sections (base, top, uprights etc) and began to mark out the general layout and get the base rail lined up and tacked together.

Working slowly through, checking three or four times my measurements then tack welding together I ended up with all the base rails in place.

My chassis kit I received seems to be missing the front frame tubes but as mentioned earlier I have my other front frame, ( note the different coloured metal and white marker writing on the f/frame)

At the end of play today I had all the base rails down, the front frame lined up and tacked and I'll start on the uprights tomorrow evening.

Last edited by CJ27 : 6th April 2014 at 09:37 PM.