Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th April 2012, 11:28 PM

Cheers mate. Very helpful.

Forgot to say in my last post. As i have mine laid out, the RS15 on the left with 3mm gap at the top, then the bracket mounted to said position. I am mounting these ontop of my plate arn't i and not underneath (looking at my pic)

I can feel satisfaction already just from almost finishing all the plates

Built a BMW R45 into a trike last year, that was good fun! Great satisfaction there
Old 25th April 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharding View Post
Cheers mate. Very helpful.

Forgot to say in my last post. As i have mine laid out, the RS15 on the left with 3mm gap at the top, then the bracket mounted to said position. I am mounting these ontop of my plate arn't i and not underneath (looking at my pic)

I can feel satisfaction already just from almost finishing all the plates

Built a BMW R45 into a trike last year, that was good fun! Great satisfaction there
as you are not drilling the 4 holes for the roll bar mount then yes you can weld the parts as described on the top of the plate but this first one then becomes the OFFSIDE box , ( in your mind imagine turning them over so the bracket & RS15 is underneath ) as long as you mirror / hand them you,ll be ok .

Just wait till you feel the satisfaction of having a rolling chassis that YOU have created

cheers
andy

ps.... the RS15 part is welded to the very outside edge of the plate , then later on part CP7 is welded down its side so to speak.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
as you are not drilling the 4 holes for the roll bar mount then yes you can weld the parts as described on the top of the plate but this first one then becomes the OFFSIDE box , ( in your mind imagine turning them over so the bracket & RS15 is underneath ) as long as you mirror / hand them you,ll be ok .

Just wait till you feel the satisfaction of having a rolling chassis that YOU have created

cheers
andy

ps.... the RS15 part is welded to the very outside edge of the plate , then later on part CP7 is welded down its side so to speak.
I understand. So just weld the parts ontop as i described, then mirror and hand them on the second one, turn them both upside down and I have what i need?

Sounds better than i thought.

Oh right. So once I have RS15 tacked in place, I cant seam all the way around it like I will be doing with the bracket?
Old 25th April 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I understand. So just weld the parts ontop as i described, then mirror and hand them on the second one, turn them both upside down and I have what i need?

Sounds better than i thought.

Oh right. So once I have RS15 tacked in place, I cant seam all the way around it like I will be doing with the bracket?
yes , you "got it"

I would suggest that you fully weld the bracket to the plate BEFORE welding the RS15 part, as its easier to get the welding torch/shroud around the bracket if RS15 is not in the way,

then

weld the inner face of the RS15 part (close to where the shock bracket/ top plate is ) leaving the outer edge & ends free of welds .....as these area,s have other parts that need putting very close to eachother, it,ll all become clear as you get further into the build up of the chassis

cheers
andy
Old 25th April 2012, 11:57 PM

I completely understand what I'm doing and how to approach now. There should be more details in the book on this section.

Thanks for all your help Andy. Hopefully My father can bring me home some 19 x 19 and I can finish these CP3 & 4. Want to get the rest of the plates made.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all your help Andy. Hopefully My father can bring me home some 19 x 19 and I can finish these CP3 & 4. Want to get the rest of the plates made.
You,re very welcome

if you can,t obtain 19 x 19 then 20 x 20 will be ok as long as you are aware of the extra mm & cut / position accordingly .

I look forward to seeing your build progress

cheers
andy
Old 26th April 2012, 12:10 AM

Thanks again mate.

You certainly are "HandyAndy".

All The Best.

Progress soon...........