Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th February 2014, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

looks like your getting there. the first drive video was excellent, what do you think the local police reaction would have been if they had seen it unregistered on the street? in the uk it would equate to a lot of trouble.

i wish i could bring my car out next time im over in Atlanta, there are some excellent roads that need to be driven in a fun car not too far away from your place.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 27th February 2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
looks like your getting there. the first drive video was excellent, what do you think the local police reaction would have been if they had seen it unregistered on the street? in the uk it would equate to a lot of trouble.

i wish i could bring my car out next time im over in Atlanta, there are some excellent roads that need to be driven in a fun car not too far away from your place.
Within my neighborhood it would an awkward conversation, but that would probably be all. Since there is no real inspection, how else are you supposed to make sure everything is working correctly.

Worse case I would be ticketed. I'd have to really piss off the cop to get any worse than that.

Don't know if I told you about this. But there is the Tail of the Dragon a few hours from here, which is pretty amazing.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/pdf/Brochure.pdf

Next time your in town, it might be worth a road trip.
Old 12th March 2014, 01:45 AM

Welp missed a week of building last week. The time finally came to pay up my end of the car bargain to my wife. This meant it was time to remodel our kitchen. I put it off as long as possible, but as soon as the tax refund hit the account my wife made me move.

Anyways back to the car. After putting the belts in I realized, if I was going to do a arm rest I would have to do it prior to skinning the sides of the car. So that is where I started this week. While I had the tools out for the kitchen I cut the center console in mdf. Once the pice was cut I router a .5" radius on the edge to match the thickness of the wood. This again was done for comfort and the fact the seats wouldn't fit otherwise.

I had to do it in 3 pieces due to the tight fit and the change in angle of the tunnel. The rear piece had to be totally separate because of the seats fit, otherwise there would be no way of installing it. The middle and front portions were fiberglassed back together so that it held the correct angle and could be one piece. Once that was done I found a Tandy leather store and picked up a hide of black suede.

Here's the final product:

Last thing left is put a shift boot on it. I ordered one off of ebay and if it matches color wise I'll use it. Other wise I'll have to make my own.
Old 12th March 2014, 08:25 AM

That is looking well tidy, had a look at the link too and the devils triangle looks a lot of fun

Arfon
Old 13th March 2014, 09:12 AM

Looks a bit like the road up Palomar Mountain in So Cal.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 14th March 2014, 08:44 AM

Or the horseshoe pass and LLanberis pass in gods chosen land.

Arfon
Old 14th March 2014, 10:11 AM

Warmer on Palomar Mountain.

God only chose it to use as a military training ground !

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:40 AM

Update: 2

So after wrapping the center console this week, I moved on to skinning the car. I began with the passenger side since it was the easier to do.

Everything was pretty straight forward, just wish I had a better way of bending the lips. But some clamps, square tubing, and a hammer did a decent job. Anyway I'll be covering any exposed lips with some edging so the hammer look shouldn't be noticeable. Finally once I finished skinning and riveting, I went ahead and wrapped the side in the vinyl I'm using.

So on to the drivers side next week.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:47 AM

Update 2:

This one has been mentally in the works for a while, but I had been waiting on the resin I needed to arrive. So my problem arose when I used a Miata/MX-5 steering shaft combines with the sparco hub and wheel. The problem being that since I wasn't going to use any of the steering column controls, I would have any exposed steering column as well as no way of running a connection for the horn to the hub. The hub has a brass ring that creates a ground when the horn button is pushed. But the ring is moving with the wheel and there for has to have some sort of contact. So with the aid of one of my 3d printers and a bunch of black resin I designed and printed this out yesterday.

So 16hrs of print time later and $15 worth of resin, I've got something that fits perfectly and can house the wiring.
Old 16th March 2014, 08:45 AM

Very nice, I knew 3D printers would be useful for something...