Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th April 2012, 11:03 PM

Hi Nick.

yes thats the 3mm gap .

The description I have given above is using the sketch dimension drawing from page 173....

BUT

that sketch drawing is to be viewed as if you have Xray vision ...basically you are looking THRU the top of the plate with the RS15 & shock bracket UNDERNEATH the top plate ( hope that makes sense ).....this is the nearside box for the car. the offside is a mirror image / handed etc .

The measurements I have given will pinpoint the CENTER of the shock bracket.

An easy way to do it is ignore RS15 for the moment, scribe out a line 97mm across the plate from the base line ( using that diagram remembering its to be scribed UNDER the top view of the plate ) then scribe a line upwards 48mm from the side edge, this will then give you the center point of the shock bracket.

Once you have this done, then place RS15 under the top plate on the left hand side as you view it from above , remembering the 3mm gap at the top edge , this should then leave you 25mm between the bottom edge of the plate & the RS15 part ( this is for the SB2 part once you place onto the chassis frame ).

does that help ? remember this is making the NEARside box.

cheers
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharding View Post
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Very easy to understand what your saying. Can picture it in my mind as reading it.

Just to confirm, this is the 3mm gap you was talking about?

Also, on the part where you said .. "its best to use the 97mm from the base line & 48mm from the side line of the plate"

Going from the previous pictures i posted of the plate, with RS15 down the left side, is that the position the plate should be in to follow your measurements above?

Also, following your measurements, does that pinpoint the top left corner of the bracket?

Hope this makes sense.

Had a spare hour tonight so made the 4 brake line mounts and the 2 radiator mounts

Cheers.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:11 PM

Andy,

That is spot on. Know exactly what I'm doing now. I noticed the edge of RS15 is in line with the plate, they meet edge on, do I weld along this edge to join them up? Not sure if something meets that face that's all.

Finially,

For the shock and normal brackets ( 85 shock and 16 normal)

What thickness is the material used for these? Doesn't say in the book.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:14 PM

Actually looking back over my couple of pictures, the center point i have marked looks around right? from memory there was over 20mm (cant remember exactly) what it was.

So using my pic with the ruler on it. i just need to drop the top left corner (RS15) down 3mm. and mount the bracket using the measurments you said. and then i have the near side done? Then just mirror / hand it to the other side?

Sorry. Making this more complicated than needed now
Old 25th April 2012, 11:24 PM

yes you got it

there are 8 shock brackets & 16 wishbone brackets in the car, use the diagrams on page 184 making sure you use the correct measurements for the shock or wishbone brackets ( the wishbone brackets are described in the book as STANDARD SUSPENSION BRACKETS)....don,t get these mixed up as I,ve seen the wrong brackets welded in place before & its a nightmare to cut them out later on in the build

the brackets are made from 3mm plate as shown on page 184

glad my posts have helped .

cheers
andy
Old 25th April 2012, 11:28 PM

Cheers mate. Very helpful.

Forgot to say in my last post. As i have mine laid out, the RS15 on the left with 3mm gap at the top, then the bracket mounted to said position. I am mounting these ontop of my plate arn't i and not underneath (looking at my pic)

I can feel satisfaction already just from almost finishing all the plates

Built a BMW R45 into a trike last year, that was good fun! Great satisfaction there
Old 25th April 2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Cheers mate. Very helpful.

Forgot to say in my last post. As i have mine laid out, the RS15 on the left with 3mm gap at the top, then the bracket mounted to said position. I am mounting these ontop of my plate arn't i and not underneath (looking at my pic)

I can feel satisfaction already just from almost finishing all the plates

Built a BMW R45 into a trike last year, that was good fun! Great satisfaction there
as you are not drilling the 4 holes for the roll bar mount then yes you can weld the parts as described on the top of the plate but this first one then becomes the OFFSIDE box , ( in your mind imagine turning them over so the bracket & RS15 is underneath ) as long as you mirror / hand them you,ll be ok .

Just wait till you feel the satisfaction of having a rolling chassis that YOU have created

cheers
andy

ps.... the RS15 part is welded to the very outside edge of the plate , then later on part CP7 is welded down its side so to speak.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
as you are not drilling the 4 holes for the roll bar mount then yes you can weld the parts as described on the top of the plate but this first one then becomes the OFFSIDE box , ( in your mind imagine turning them over so the bracket & RS15 is underneath ) as long as you mirror / hand them you,ll be ok .

Just wait till you feel the satisfaction of having a rolling chassis that YOU have created

cheers
andy

ps.... the RS15 part is welded to the very outside edge of the plate , then later on part CP7 is welded down its side so to speak.
I understand. So just weld the parts ontop as i described, then mirror and hand them on the second one, turn them both upside down and I have what i need?

Sounds better than i thought.

Oh right. So once I have RS15 tacked in place, I cant seam all the way around it like I will be doing with the bracket?
Old 25th April 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I understand. So just weld the parts ontop as i described, then mirror and hand them on the second one, turn them both upside down and I have what i need?

Sounds better than i thought.

Oh right. So once I have RS15 tacked in place, I cant seam all the way around it like I will be doing with the bracket?
yes , you "got it"

I would suggest that you fully weld the bracket to the plate BEFORE welding the RS15 part, as its easier to get the welding torch/shroud around the bracket if RS15 is not in the way,

then

weld the inner face of the RS15 part (close to where the shock bracket/ top plate is ) leaving the outer edge & ends free of welds .....as these area,s have other parts that need putting very close to eachother, it,ll all become clear as you get further into the build up of the chassis

cheers
andy
Old 25th April 2012, 11:57 PM

I completely understand what I'm doing and how to approach now. There should be more details in the book on this section.

Thanks for all your help Andy. Hopefully My father can bring me home some 19 x 19 and I can finish these CP3 & 4. Want to get the rest of the plates made.
Old 26th April 2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all your help Andy. Hopefully My father can bring me home some 19 x 19 and I can finish these CP3 & 4. Want to get the rest of the plates made.
You,re very welcome

if you can,t obtain 19 x 19 then 20 x 20 will be ok as long as you are aware of the extra mm & cut / position accordingly .

I look forward to seeing your build progress

cheers
andy