Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd June 2009, 05:59 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but I need to thank someone publicly.
Bonzo/Ronnie.Once again the forum has produced a gentleman who says he will do something and carried it out as he said he would,today I recieved from Ronnie a pair of rear uprights and I cannot put into words how pleased I am to recieve them and if this was you worst effort I cant wait to see the good ones.
A million thanks to a true gent.

Andy re CVH they put turbo's on in the XR3i turbo.
Old 3rd June 2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post

Andy re CVH they put turbo's on in the XR3i turbo.
erm yes but i was under the impression that the 1600 CVH head is totally different to the 1800 (1769cc) CVH head, as you know i,m no mechanic so are you suggesting putting the XR3i turbo head onto my engine? is it a possibility?
cheers
andy
Old 3rd June 2009, 06:18 PM

Must be honest and forgot about engine size.
It's not possible to swap the head without mega problems with regard to differences in the turbo and normally aspirated engine,compression ratio's under piston cooling and strength of block and crank etc.

Back to square one I'm afraid.

The flight was a high point in learning and life in general and scary too,no one too hold your hand and help you land literally taking you life in your own hands.
Worth it though !
Old 3rd June 2009, 06:26 PM

Flyerncle, yes i can only imagine the feeling of being totally in charge of a plane, in a way i imagine it must have been exhilerating & frightening at the same time, makes riding a motorbike/car look easypeasy
first time i went in a helicopter going sideways was waaaaaaayyyyyyy too weird for me,

andy
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:14 PM

You should try parachuting. Nothing beats the feeling of chucking yourself out of a plane at 3,500ft on your own and then dangling above villages without a care in the world with only a bit of fabric holding you from the plummet to earth.
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
You should try parachuting. Nothing beats the feeling of chucking yourself out of a plane at 3,500ft on your own and then dangling above villages without a care in the world with only a bit of fabric holding you from the plummet to earth.
now that IS on my to do before i die list along with jumping off a cliff with a hang glider

i,d do a sponsored parachute jump if there was somewhere fairly local to me that does it.
andy
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:52 PM

It is top class. The only problem with sponsored parachute jumps are that they are with an instructor and your just along for the ride, you dont get to control anything, although the good thing about them are that you go straight to 10,000 foot and free fall. Where as what im doing is starting from the very begining and jumping on my own at 3,500 foot, to start with my chute auto deploys as soon as i jump and then i take it from there, as i get better i go higher and higher and start to pull my own chute as soon as i leave the plane and then progress through free fall times until eventually i just from 10,000 foot and doing 60 second free falls. If anyones interested in learning to parachute/skydive then feel free to pm me if you have any questions, but i do recommend to do a tandem jump to see if you like it before you put a lot of money into it (it is an expensive sport).

Back to engines though, anyone know what the 0-60 speed of a 1.8l CVH is? And what does this increase to when bike carbs are added? Also what is the 0-60 of a zetec + a zetec with mods?
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post

Back to engines though, anyone know what the 0-60 speed of a 1.8l CVH is? And what does this increase to when bike carbs are added? Also what is the 0-60 of a zetec + a zetec with mods?
i take it you want these figures based on a 7 style car & not the donor ? cos i,d be interested to know them too
andy
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:31 PM

[quote=Tatey;15630]It is top class. The only problem with sponsored parachute jumps are that they are with an instructor and your just along for the ride, you dont get to control anything,QUOTE]

Not always true. When I did my charity parachute jump, it was a day's training on the Saturday, then a solo jump on Sunday - well worth it!

Cheers

Adrian
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:43 PM

hmmmm i,ll look into it, i have a charity in mind thats "close to home",
i,d be well up for jumping out of a plane

andy