Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th September 2014, 11:34 AM

Default cv boots to cover front suspension

What have people used that are easy to fit. Any ebay links?
Old 29th September 2014, 07:18 PM

I just a went to the local euro car parts dealer and bought some universal ones that fitted fine. They did fall off on the way back from the test centre so they can't have been that secure lol

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 30th September 2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
I just a went to the local euro car parts dealer and bought some universal ones that fitted fine. They did fall off on the way back from the test centre so they can't have been that secure lol

David
ordered some mx5 ones. Might come in handy at a later date.
Old 30th September 2014, 04:49 PM

Post IVA I'm going to send VOSA a bill for all the bits of s**t I've had to buy.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Post IVA I'm going to send VOSA a bill for all the bits of s**t I've had to buy.
Just do what I'm probably going to do...not even bothering to get it through IVA. The more I do with the build, the less point I see in making it road legal.
Old 1st October 2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
Just do what I'm probably going to do...not even bothering to get it through IVA. The more I do with the build, the less point I see in making it road legal.
Nah, I won't be beaten by the authorities! It's a roadworthy vehicle give or take a few more bits of s**t.
Old 1st October 2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Nah, I won't be beaten by the authorities! It's a roadworthy vehicle give or take a few more bits of s**t.
Ha, it's not just that, whilst you need a budget IRO £800-900+ just for the paperwork (£450 test, 1 retest at £90, transport (possibly insurance) to and from the test, first reg fee (£55?), £230 tax), it's the cost of the additional parts for compliance, then ~£500 per annum in tax and insurance...all in all, you're not going to get that much change from a £2K spend. I'm unlikely to add £2K of value to the car.

When you think I would probably do 1000/2000 miles a year in it, it's not the sort of car you can park up an leave for an hour at your local supermarket, I have a fairly (but not super) quick and very fun daily driver, I primarily want to do track days and something a bit more with it; me doing an IVA just doesn't make enough sense to justify the expenditure. That money can be much more usefully spent...

Last edited by PorkChop : 1st October 2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 1st October 2014, 08:08 PM

Believe me... it is worth it when you wipe the smile off some of the boy racers and the older peeps who do have fast cars wiping the floor with them is absolutely priceless as is taking anybody out for a spin their expressions again priceless track days are fine when it is FINE but if it aint, then its wet and a waste of money I find the challenge was the build itself, I don't need a challenge on the road, I just want to enjoy driving it when it is nice weather....just my 2p worth
Old 1st October 2014, 08:41 PM

Each to their own, thats what makes building your own car so good. Until I read an article on Ron Champions book, I thought it was an impossible dream.
Old 1st October 2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Believe me... it is worth it when you wipe the smile off some of the boy racers and the older peeps who do have fast cars wiping the floor with them is absolutely priceless as is taking anybody out for a spin their expressions again priceless track days are fine when it is FINE but if it aint, then its wet and a waste of money I find the challenge was the build itself, I don't need a challenge on the road, I just want to enjoy driving it when it is nice weather....just my 2p worth
And that's the thing, that has absolutely zero appeal to me, already done that through a few seasons of autotesting. And while others complimenting the car would be nice, I'm not building it to please them. I'm building it to please me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powler View Post
Each to their own, thats what makes building your own car so good. Until I read an article on Ron Champions book, I thought it was an impossible dream.
Exactly. If it wasn't for being able to say I specced (which is taking a lot of time spent and several reversed decisions) and built my own car, I probably would have bought an already built car that needed work. I probably would even need to buy some CV boots