Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th August 2013, 09:03 PM

Well, bit of an update. Been a busy bee the last few nights. Ive re-made my engine mounts and gearbox mounts, because I wasn't happy with my first attempt. Ive mounted my handbrake, and the cable bracket at the back for the handbrake cables (3 times!!).

My radiator arrived this week, so ive mocked up some basic mounts, installed the headlight supports, installed the brake line lugs for the flexi cables, and put the back plate in for the steering column.

Then my bearing arrived, so columns in, steering wheel support frames in, steering rack mounts in and I installed the rollbar rear stays.

The laser cut parts for my pedal box and the curves side wings (by your elbows on the outside of the car) arrived this morning (only £37 for the lot), so I tacked it up at lunch, and got one of my welders to finish it off. had some dense nylon bushes lathed at the unit across the road for the pedels, and installed it all tonight. welded the side wings on, just need the 25mm wide top strip (only have 25x5 bar in the garage - too thick)

Changed my mockup of the diff support to a nice piece of 50x25x3mm S355 hot rolled steel, lined it up, and tacked it in place.

So basically, all I need to do is weld in my seat support rails, and then I can strip it back to the chassis to send off to work for welding, dressing, neatening up my iffy plates, and then iron phosphate and powdercoat!!

A litte tour video of the car for my progrewss so far: (please feel free to make any comment - I WANT to know if ive done something wrong!)

Old 15th August 2013, 09:32 PM

Well another MX5 Roadster in progress, those Sierra boys better watch their backs.... catching them up soon at this rate.....
Well I don't know how I missed your first post but I'm glad to see another MX5 builder on here, by the looks of it you are certainly cracking on with it.

Well if I can help in any way just ask.... the best advice I can give is just remember the book and Saturn plans are a guide only. I can't remember the last time I looked at either...
Looking at your build you've already done your own thing in places.
With regards to the diff I'm going down the rubber mounted route with two Land Rover mounts, one in compression and the other in tension with a fully welded 5mm bracket around the diff nose. I guess if you can stop the diff arms rotating too much you should be OK.
I plan to use the diff rubber washers under the diff arms to as per the original MX5.
Looking forward to more photos of your build...

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 15th August 2013, 10:03 PM

Still storming ahead!

One point of concern: steering wheel; will it pass the radius test? Most people go for an all-rubber-coated to pass IVA before it accidentaly falls off...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 15th August 2013, 10:06 PM

Its the original wheel. The middle pads missing because ive not put it on. it will be on for the IVA, then flung out the window !
Old 16th August 2013, 11:35 AM

Those wheels are looking well tidy

Arfon
Old 16th August 2013, 12:24 PM

They came with the car, apparently proper racing wheels, but im going for a yellow and black scheme. The wheels are open to offers if anyone shows an interest in them.

Also on the build front, my seats arrived today from Midland wheels (Im assuming we're ok to name suppliers on here?). Only paid £99 for 2 brand new seats, and i'm very impressed. Don't get me wrong, there not the best quality, but they look great, although the materials are a little 'thin', for less than 50 quid each, im not complaining!

Will post some piccys up later if I get chance.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:47 PM

I have looked at them they look tidy, I ordered some from passion automotive on ebay and they went back, really poor quality

Arfon
Old 16th August 2013, 01:01 PM

my seats are these:

They look baggy around the headrest, but are actually quite tight. the cusions are quite firm, and a little too narrow fo my rear end, but they should soften after a bit of use.

What were yours?
Old 25th August 2013, 09:43 PM

Well, bit of an update.

The car has finally had the last of the plates tacked into place. Started to strip the car down on Thursday after work, and finished stripping it 2 hours later!! What took 4 weeks to build, took next to no time to strip down!!

The chassis is back at work, having the welding finished, dressed, neatened up, and then its going for blasting, iron phosphate, and powdercoat.

Hopefully have it back for the weekend. So in the meantime, ive shotblasted my rear calipers, diff, driveshafts, and front and rear uprights, and painted them in anti-rust paint. My spare room has now turned into an motorfactors with all the carparts stored there!!