Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2013, 08:14 PM

Smile Driving a Seven

I'm guessing a lot of you guys building these cars have driven a Seven before?
I have only driven one rear wheeled drive car before and that was the donor which I got up to 20mph tops...
So what's it really like
Is all this hard work worth it as I have seen a lot of people come and go on here which is worrying...

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 24th August 2013, 11:13 PM

Have a look at this video:

http://youtu.be/htI3weS49cc?t=7m7s

(Chris Harris having a go in a Morgan Three-wheeler and a mid-range Caterham). Almost all the things he says about the way Caterham feels I can totally relate to. My roadster feels just like he describes, albeit it is without a windshield, locking diff, or 180 bhp.
Old 24th August 2013, 11:36 PM

Also, before I crashed it on the track, I let a couple of friends a bit more experienced friends drive a couple of laps. They commented that it's totally brilliant, it corners like it's on rails, when the rear goes it's easy to get it back in line, and the brakes are totally adequate (Sierra 240 mm ventilated disks front, drums back).
Old 25th August 2013, 10:22 AM

Check this out http://www.totalkitcarlive.com/ Test / demo day for kit manufactures.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:24 AM

Every body says the same things about a 7 publicly about how quick they are, how they handle but nobody ever seems to talk about the down sides to them. You are very low compared to the other traffic on the road even a people carrier will look tall, you have to be very aware of the other cars,vans,4x4's and those people who drive with their ear phones in. Start thinking like a biker and drive defensively and assume you have not been seen, even if the exhaust is loud the car driver with the aircon and radio turned up to 11 will not hear you. If you come up to a roundabout to go straight on in the outside lane you may not be seen by the driver who decides to go for the exit lane your aiming for. Another point is people tend to forget that you are there at all, because the rear lights are down low other drivers tend to look over the top of you. A third brake light on the rollbar will help a little with this.
Don't get me wrong I like the fact that such handling and fun can be had for little money but you also have to remember that it's you who will end up looking at a ford badge 3" from your face.

Last edited by Talonmotorsport : 25th August 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 25th August 2013, 11:58 AM

100% correct Phil, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:11 PM

Oh, there are more downsides. Have you ever driven a go kart in the wet? The seven without a windshield and flappy doors is similar. The water gets sprayed from the front tire on your arm and shoulder and drips from your elbow into your seat. You quickly end up sitting in a puddle. The same happens with the water that lands on your chest.
Old 25th August 2013, 03:56 PM

It's horribly uncomforatble, the vibration and harsh ride wreck your back and rattle your fillings out,
you get a constant stream of bugs and stones hitting your face at 60mph,
it's unusable if it's too hot, too cold, or there's the slightest chance of rain,
the exhaust and wind noise are unbearable, it needs constant maintenance and fettling,
your friends will avoid you as you bore them talking about your car, your wife will leave you because you love the car more than her,
and 99% of the population will think "what a cock" when they see you driving it.

Is it worth it? abso-fooking-lutely!
Old 25th August 2013, 04:35 PM

well.....

I have a kart. and that handles like a errrr go kart. hit a puddle with slicks and spend next 3 bends warming them up.

had a beetle (1800cc twin 45s high lift cams, rockers) went well slowed for one bend out of my parents house and faded for the first junction. all wieght in back. when it went there was no coming back, it did not even spin nicely more rocketed the front around the back.

drove a 4x4 dax 7 (450bhp cossie powered. erm limited by the risk of death only, only got to 50% of what it could do but was hooked been looking ever since at an affordable way to do it.

328i wollowy no feel and hard to predict "bite back" when it finished a sideways moment.

formula 3000 car - gear stick in odd place, tooooo easy to miss gears as there is about half a millimeter between all gears.... limited only by the muscles in my neck. and that was in wet and hail.

in summery harsher the ride the more controlable the slide as you feel more whats going on. looking at your pics no one will miss you!!!
Old 25th August 2013, 08:24 PM

Way to put him off lads his car will be for sale before we know it
I had an mx5 on the road for about a year and apart from snow I had no real trouble driving it even when I chose to put it sideways if you have any doubts on your driving ability go get some advanced tuition the car will tell you everything you need to know about whatsoever going on just remember you drive these things with your hips thats where you will feel a slide first if in doubt lift off dont brake

Maybe have a day on a track at an experience day