Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th April 2011, 02:06 PM

Default Fitting bushes

Just thought I would relay my experience with pressing the bushes into the wishbones.....naturally I did a little research on here and the general consensus seems to be a large vice with wide faces or use some small timber blocks to keep everything square.
Here's the way I did it......first of all get all you're bushes together then what I did was to "coat" all of the bush tubes in the bones with a liberal amount of copper grease this not only aids the pressing home of the bushes but it will also protect the insides of the bush tubes from moisture and the inevitable tinworm.
Then it was a case of one bush at a time .....I used some thick cloth as protection as I did not expect a great deal of resistance when pressing them home. What I did first was to place a bush up to the tube and gently "nip" it then check that all was square and gently wind the vice up while continually checking the bush is advancing into the tube I would then stop 1/4" short of pushing it fully home .....the reason for this being that it is easier to now place the crush tube into the bush from the same side if all the dimensions are right it should stop level with the start of the bush tube because where it (bush) has been pressed inside the central hole should become slightly less in diameter causing the crush tube to stop. This is where the vice does its work again except this time we are pressing the crush tube home if the bush moves the final 1/4" home thats ok but I found the crush tube tended to "click" as it was being pressed in.....when the crush tube stops it will still have around 1/4" to go that is because the other bush has to be fitted yet.
taking the bone out of the vice now I used a rubber face mallet to persuaude the crush tube the rest of the way in till flush....you could of course use a piece of wood with a hole larger than the crush tube and the vice to press it home, either way once done the crush tube will now be protruding out of the other bushless side by around 1/4" this gives a nice peg so to speak to place on the other bush then back into the vice and carefully push all the way home.....then just simply repeat the process with the rest but TAKE your time

bush and crush tube ready to press "so far"

pressing away

ready to tap the crush tube flush with the polybush

the final push

I'm not saying that this is the best way to do it I'm just saying this is how I tackled the process which ever way you do it treat them with respect as usually there are no spares with the bush kits
Old 19th April 2011, 02:14 PM

When i did my set i pushed both bushes in one after another. Then i pressed the tube in after. Both ways work well.

Skyline Roadster