Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th April 2011, 06:53 PM

Red face decision time

right im having problems controlling my brain, let me explain.

because of this brilliant weather all the roadster style vehicles are coming out to play, every time i see one i think why not sack off the track day only idea and get it road legal so i can go out for a drive whenever i feel like it! then i think of money and change my mind back again... and the process repeats every time!

if i did decide to go on the road legal route i would:
fit the donor engine for the IVA then change to zetec
lights and other gubbins
then there is worrying about screw radius and such bumf

this lot wouldn't cost a fortune so not worried about that, its all the registration and testing that goes with it.

could someone shed a bit of light on the situation and persuade me to go road legal please? i really want to but dont like the idea of spending the pennys. (students are tight... then theres me )

Ta very much

Jake
Old 20th April 2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Track time = Trailer + Track cost + Lots of worn tyres and brakes.
Road time = Any time, any place, any speed.

5 half day sessions of tracking will probably cost as much as getting it road legal and having fun anytime.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 20th April 2011, 08:19 PM

Rob is right on the money, track days are in the region of £90 plus so a few of them is going to mount up quick.

Road registered is more saleable too.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:19 PM

my 2p,s worth...for what its worth

If you have built a car that can take the punishment that a track car will no doubt be given ( enjoying yourself ) then for the extra expense of making that said car road legal will be worth it the first time you go for a "drive out" with a few other 7 style cars,
better than riding as a passenger in someone else,s car or not getting the chance to go at all

Nothing to stop you making it into a track car for say the summer months then upgrade it over winter to make it IVA ready/pass the IVA, & then the following summer you can do either...track or road whenever you wish.

this way you can build the car, enjoy it on track then upgrade it, which also spreads the cost over a period of time whilst you still get to enjoy the car

cheers
andy

Last edited by HandyAndy : 20th April 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 21st April 2011, 02:15 PM

Road legal, definitely

You wont regret it!

I found the whole process very straight forward, the dvla can be a pain and there are lots of things to think about for iva but nothing to difficult really, this is how my journey went:

step 1 - I wrote to dvla re chassis no. few days later it was on the doorstep

step 2 - read peoples build diary's and posts who have passed iva, make notes about certain failure points on these cars

step 3 - book iva, bend over to make extortionate payment, take it like a man

step 4 - panic you don't have enough time to get the car finished for test

step 5 - work hard get it done, having a deadline helps

step 6 - wake up iva test day to find out its raining, have a little cry & come to terms with the fact its going to get wet at some point! arrive at iva, pass first time drive back with stupid grin on face

step 7 - drop in at dvla on way back from iva, they wouldn't inspect it and made me make an appointment to go back 9 days later, swear at them, mutter under your breath and walk out

step 8 - attend dvla inspection get numbers checked etc etc all ok, take document to lady at the counter and receive tax disc, excellent , watch women drop file of all my receipts etc and embarrassingly pick them up realise that in her haste to pick up my receipts she forgot to charge me for registering the car, say thanks, smile, make sharp exit before she realises

step 9 - go and get number plates made up, fasten them to your car and go and have the most satisfying first drive of your life!

step 10 - blow engine up at track day, install more powerful one over winter
Old 21st April 2011, 03:21 PM

If i may make a statement for the opposition..... ahem

I'm building a track day only car as the last car project i did (Ford Capri) never got any regular road time (except when my daily driver broke down). It really bugged me that all the time and effort I'd put into getting it through it's MOT, all the money I'd spent taxing/insuring it was going to waste while it sat in the garage. It did less than 1000 miles in a year, so I sold it.

I decided from the outset that my locost was going to be a track day animal, If it was a road car obviously the build is more difficult, IVA costs the same if not more than a years insurance - or for arguments sake, more than 5 track days at £100 a go. And when it's finished, it requires no annual MOT and no tax/insurance, so if I don't use it for a month or more - it costs me NOTHING.

I know when the time comes to sell it, it won't be worth as much as a road registered equivalent, but that has never been the point in me building it.

I know track use is hard on brakes/tyres and the like which means they will be replaced more often, but that will probably cost less than the fuel to use it on the road regularly.

If you are going to build a car that has such performance, and only ever drive it on public roads at legal speeds, maybe your wasting your time, get it on track where you can really unleash it. And for goodness sake don't fool about on the roads, cos that's just plain stupid.

One other major consideration I had, once you spent all your time and money building your car, how comfortable would you be parking it in a regular car park and leaving it all day? What if somebody damages it, or worse, it gets stolen?

So, my vote is track use only.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 21st April 2011, 04:25 PM

Road anytime....like Handy says out for a country run about with other like minded 7 drivers or just a blast out by yourself when the weather is nice. Track days would just be a bonus to legally let rip.
Old 21st April 2011, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

it was snowing when i went for my iva. still drove it there though

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 21st April 2011, 10:04 PM

thanks for the advice and info fellas, think iv come to a conclusion and am going to go road legal! the only thing i am still considering is like 'aerosam' said, shelling out for tax and MOT to do very little milage.

on the trailer note iv just bought one anyways, college tutor had a nice 2 ton galvanised caravan chassis for sale which is nice and low to the ground, iv told him i'll have it got a bargain at £100 delivered so going to make some ramps and put a decent bed on it, should serve me well.

whats the IVA costing nowadays, i seem to remember reading about £500 somewhere, but that could be my brain playing tricks again.

also when should i apply for a chassis number?

Ta very much

Jake
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:12 AM

Jake, I also built a transporter trailer from a caravan chassis, here's the build blog:

http://www.locostcartrailer.blogspot.com/

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46